Pink Grapefruit Sencha

Green Tea
Edit tea info Last updated by Tran

From Zhi Tea

A tiny foil container of an outstanding grapefruit sencha was brought to us from Japan by a friend. We hoarded it, worshipped it, and ultimately finished it off.

Months went by and Candice kept bugging me to create a Zhi version. So I did. And it is pretty darn good if I may say so myself.

We took our tip-top grade organic sencha we get from Japan (which would not normally be a blending base, the second grade is used for that), added organic grapefruit extract and organic pink grapefruit peel.

The result: a delightful top note that sits delicately over the rich grassiness of the sencha. Perfect, subtle, intoxicating aromatics. Very addicting. Currently Jeffrey’s (me) favorite green tea, by far. Our first five pound batch hits the shelves on July 1, 2011.

USDA Organic

5.0 oz Tin – $18.95 – 50 Servings – 38¢ per cup
8.0 oz Pouch – $26.95 – 80 Servings – 34¢ per cup

About Zhi Tea View company

So I’m still on vacation in Austin today, and I went to not one tea store, but TWO (I’ll have to write about the other one later). I’ve heard of this tea company before, but I didn’t realize they had a storefront. So, I decided to check it out.

It’s quite nice, even though it’s off the beaten path. At first I was a little annoyed that they only sell loose tea in 8 oz increments OR in tins, but upon further inspection they also sell their flavors in “sample bags” that range around $4. So, that’s not too bad.

I was unsure of whether or not I wanted this tea, so the lady actually offered to brew me a sample. It’s not bad. A little bitter, but that’s to be expected with grapefruit. The flavor was nice, but I didn’t really think it was a tea I would drink every day, so I didn’t buy it. I DID, however, see some milk chocolate with jasmine tea in it, that I picked up for my BF since he LOVES Jasmine. Hopefully he does.

Also, kinda random, but the lady behind the counter kept referring to the teas as "he"s and "she"s. So, for this tea, she would say, “She can be quite bitter without too much brewing, but she has a nice flavor.” It threw me off a little bit.

CrowKettle

Gender assigning teas sounds interesting but I would’ve been confused too. I wonder what criteria she uses to decide which one is masculine or feminine.

Cavocorax

Was English not their first language? It could be because of that? I remember learning French and Spanish and I could never figure out why a table would be one gender, while a desk is another. And then German has three genders…

And yowza. 8 oz is A LOT to buy at once. :| I’d just buy multiple sample bags. :P

Shmiracles

hah that’s so cute. gender-ed tea, like people humanize their cars or teddy bears.
and “milk chocolate with jasmine tea in it”!! IN IT!? yummmm

YUM!

As I mentioned before, I’m always on the look out for that special grapefruit green tea (yes, I know I found it from Lupicia, however, somehow, even though it is the same tea that I tried in Arizona, it doesn’t taste quite the same. I suspect it has something to do with the water, possibly water temperature… I don’t know. Maybe it has something to do with the fact that I was in a very magical place – Tohono Chul Park – and that made the tea taste all that much better. I just know that I was mesmerized by that tea and I want that experience again, and even though Lupicia’s tea is the same tea that was offered by the tea shop in Tohono Chul Park… and it IS a delicious grapefruit tea, it just doesn’t taste as magical at home as it did that afternoon in Arizona.)

Sorry for that digression …

Anyway… when I found this tea available from Zhi Tea, I knew I had to try it. I had actually ordered this months ago, but, am just getting around to trying it now! I’ve a lot of tea … as some of you may be aware … and I am attempting to organize it and get my stash under some sort of control, if not a controlled size, then at least a sense of organization to it all so that I can easily find teas that I want. In my ongoing process of organization, I came across this tea and decided it was time to brew it.

And it is YUM! It has a fantastic grapefruit flavor – tangy but not really tart, the sencha balances the flavor out nicely. This tastes more like the Texas pink grapefruit that has a nice sweetness to it to counter the tangy character of it.

I think I shall save the rest of my sample for when the weather is warmer so that I can enjoy it as an iced tea – I suspect it will be marvelous!

A mighty-fine flavored Sencha! It’s a nice medium flavored Pink Grapefruit – just enough to be mouthwatering but not overly intense! This is nice!