I took advantage of Frank offering free White Teas to place another order from 52teas, and it came today, which I might add is a darn quick turnaround time, seeing as I placed the order… Wednesday evening? Less than a week ago, assuredly, and anytime an online order gets to me within a week, I’m a happy camper.

Something about Frank’s flavor combinations instill this slight madness in me, where even things I’d normally shy away from just seem like they should be amazing. Case in point: Cherry flavoring. I’m not a huge cherry flavoring fan, for the most part. It’s like my least favorite pie in the world. But something about the Cherry Cheesecake Genmaicha just rang out to me. It probably has to do with the fact that I absolutely LOVE genmaicha, and I think Frank is the only person in the world that flavors it.

The dry leaf, in the pouch, gives off a really strong cherry scent with just a hint of creaminess, almost like a cherry bubblegum. Yeah, definitely cherry bubblegum. I don’t smell the green tea base, which is a vast improvement over the somewhat seaweed-y taste of the dry leaf of my normal genmaicha (not that the seaweed flavor exists in the brew, but something about it smells that way to me… go fig).

The liquid color brews to the same translucent elixir-of-life green that I expect from genmaicha, and always makes me happy. Though, I was expecting a reddish color due to the cherry flavoring. The smell is less overpoweringly cherry, and the creamy, vanilla smell is a little more powerful, and it is delightful!

The taste? I don’t know if it can even be described, it is just absolutely perfection. The fruitiness of the cherry with a creaminess that just seems to melt over the toasted rice taste. It is magical. I can taste the green tea, far more than I can smell it, but I’m fairly certain my mouth is dismissing it as an illusion. It can taste it, my tongue knows that it is there, but it just having far too much fun with the other flavors to pay it much mind.

It also tastes much… lighter? than my other genmaicha. I am very, very pleased with this. So pleased, in fact, that after tasting the first sip (and making some sort of comment on its incredible tastiness), I went quick like a bunny to open up 52teas.com and see if there was anymore. Which, of course, there wasn’t. Ah well, looks like this will be a once in a lifetime enjoyment.

So yeah, this is really good. I would recommend you get some… but that would just be mean ;)

My fiancé and I are beginning to enjoy tea infusion, and it’s slowly becoming an interesting hobby that the two of us can share. Maybe not slowly… it’s somewhat amazing how much tea you can buy when everything looks shiny and new.

Tea Rating system:

90 – 100: This is a tea I will always have on hand at work, and at home. I will leave it on altars as offerings of perfection.

80 – 89: This, or one of it’s close cousins, will likely be in my cabinet at home. When this tea runs out, I will buy more. I’ll always wonder if there is something better, but be too afraid to look to stray from home to find it.

70 – 79: Definitely good, but not a clear winner. I enjoy it, I’ll finish it, but I probably won’t buy it again until I’ve exhausted all other versions of this product from any reputable retailer. Though, it may enjoy a resurrection for custom blending.

60 – 69: This tea is okay, but definitely not something I’m going to brew again. I’m going to give what I have left away.

30 – 59: I didn’t finish drinking this tea. I actually poured it out, and went for something else. I’ll still give this tea away, but I’ll do it with a warning and a plead for forgiveness.

0 – 29: This tea is riding securely towards an iceberg at the helm of the failboat. I’ve taken this out of my tea tin, and laid it on a napkin as potpurri. I do not consider it fit for human consumption.

Tacoma, Washington, United States