A completely different beast than Bada, the Peacock of Bulang is a very thick and robust creature. Immediately, smoke comes through. A hint of the pine-scented Lapsang shows up in the first steep, and unlike the often coarse cigarette-like smokiness of the Xiaguan teas, this is cleaner, richer, and more enjoyable. As someone who appreciates the hearty Bambergian rauchbiers, I find the rustic hill quality of this tea enjoyable. As the leaf opens up, it yields a really dark orange soup, a bit murky. Normally, an associated strong oxidized hongchaesque tannic bitterness would dominate, but it’s subtle and not unbearable. Otherwise the tea is clean, complex, hearty, and satisfying. The chaqi is smooth, settling, and warm.

Cofftea

Mmmm… raw pu erh! But the one raw pu erh I’ve had tasted nothing like Lapsang Souchong and was not murky. Interesting.

the_skua

They all vary. The Peacock of Bada tasted nothing like Lapsang and was very clear and pale. It all depends on the batch to batch processing.

Hmmm… That worries me…

Comments

Cofftea

the_skua