My sample was from the core of the bing, so it was compressed tighter than steel and composed, seemingly, of dust. This was not an appealing cake from the get go. The first few steeps were scattered and blurry, with plenty of green bitterness, some light melon, and a dapple of honey. It produced one of the paler soups I’ve seen in sheng and had light aromatics. Smoothing over towards the middle of the session, the confusion ebbed to blandness, with a plain white sugar and cream of wheat character dominating. Unexciting.

the_skua

I think this tea might be a good example of my naivete when it comes to pu’er. Others have reviewed it quite favorably, but I found it expressionless. Certainly, my palate will continue to calibrate. Perhaps this cake is to the strong, more intense cakes, as a cool fresh pint of Mild Ale might be to a dense Barleywine, quieter, but nonetheless enjoyable and wholly thirst-quenching and satisfying.

Comments

the_skua

Peace Dale, Rhode Island