Finally, I may have used enough leaf to find this tea enjoyable. Packing my small gaiwan near to the top with these big twisted wires, I was able to get some really fun flavors out of this tea. The initial steep was a fruit and blossom bomb, with tons of white peach, papaya, and nectarine, all backed with subtle hints of cocoa powder, sandalwood, and white pepper. Underlying all of this was a subtle, silky texture and flavor of fresh, perfectly-cooked scallop meat, reminiscent of the really enjoyable pink shrimp flesh I found in a younger Hou De dan cong. Ramping up the amount of leaf and following Tea Habitat’s brewing guidelines (http://tea-obsession.blogspot.com/2008/01/how-to-brew-dan-cong.html) really produced a nice session this morning.

deftea

You really make me want to try this tea. I have a similarly aged Feng Huang DC from Dragon Tea House that I just can’t get to work for me. Tastes too much like shu puerh. Did you get the leathery tastes of puerh in this?

the_skua

It doesn’t taste anything like shu puerh to me. It’s got it’s own thing going on. It does have leather, but in a soft, fresh, dry kind of way. Similar to how figs or golden pipe tobacco might give off. Not in the earthy, umami, mushroom-like way that a shu puerh might.

Comments

deftea

the_skua