I believe the last time I had enjoyed a Yunnan tea was from Adagio. The leaves were a mixture of beautifully light and deep browns, curled and soft, with tiny hairs. I recall golden tips and a smooth and soft flavor.

This tea is rather interesting. There is clearly a musty scent, which makes me worry about the quality of this tea.

There is a mixture of dark brown leaves and stems, which is not odd. What is odd is the size of the stems, most larger and longer than the leaves. I worry some more.

The liquor is dark and cloudy, with that musty scent from the leaves. I am actually not really looking forward to tasting this tea.

And, just as I had suspected, this is a very bitter tea. The musty scent had very much shown what the quality was to this tea, which is bitter and pretty much flavourless.

daidokorocha

I stumbled upon this and I know of this tea you’re speaking of and thought I would let you know that this particular tea is NOT a Yunnan Black Tea. In China, what English speaking countries call black tea is called red tea. A black tea actually refers to a dark tea, in this case being from yunnan it makes it s a pu-erh. If you read the characters on the label it actually says pu-erh and not “black tea”. That is why the tea is musty and looks as it does.

Peter Azak

Even if it was a pu-erh tea, it was not a particularly good tea at all. Pu-erh has a distinct characteristic that I quite enjoy; this tea was just musty.

Comments

daidokorocha

Peter Azak