I brewed this in my little gongfu pot today.

I did 7 steeps: rinse,25s,35s,45s,55s,65s,75s,85s.

It took longer for the creamy taste to develop using this method. And it seemed to be more vegetal when prepared this way versus western brewing. It is still buttery and floral. And definitely enjoyable. However, I think I do prefer the western brewing method with this particular oolong.

Kittenna

I find that I prefer the western brewing method for a number of teas. I tend to really enjoy only the first couple infusions or so with gong-fu-ish brewing anyways, so it’s kind of a waste of time. However, there are some teas that really shine gong-fu style! Perhaps if my palate was better-developed, my opinion on this would be different :P

tigress_al

Ya, I have found that I actually like the Bailin Gongfu and the Yun nan golden tip from Teavivre better brewed gongfu. Have you tried these ones gongfu?

I am learning that my palate is developing more and more over time. And I am liking straight teas more and more as well.

Doug F

I agree, Kittenna. other than really good pu-erhs, which I might infuse three times or so in my little pot, I’m a one-and-done kind of tea drinker. It truly perplexes me when I see people doing multiple brewings of green and black teas; I don’t get much flavor after the first good steep.

Kittenna

I definitely re-steep things – there are some flavoured whites that do fabulously! – but western-style. I should try the bailin gongfu with the shorter infusions – I think I’ve only had it once, and that would have been western-brewed. I’m also liking straight teas more – artificial flavouring seems to be getting to me. Not bad sometimes, but not always what I’m craving!

Comments

Kittenna

tigress_al

Doug F

Hello,

Most of my teas I rate at 90 and above, and would re-stock these teas.
Anything under 90 I probably wouldn’t re-stock unless I found a great price.

Saskatchewan, Canada