drank Red Velvet Cake by DAVIDsTEA

Backlogging from the weekend.

First of all, I have never tried red velvet cake. So I am not too sure what I am supposed to be tasting.

It is sweet and a bit chocolatey. It is nice and smooth. But I am not loving it. It is a little artificial tasting, I guess from all those sprinkles. I enjoyed chocolate cake much better than this one. I certainly wouldn’t turn down a cuppa!

tattooed_tea

I find real red velvet to be artificial tasting as well, I attributed it to all the red dye. I found it to be one of those flavours that grows on you. I would never turn down a cupcake, but at first had a hard time eating my red velvet one and then learned to love it.
Can’t wait to try this one.

on a random other note… the colour in red velvet cake used to NOT be from food colouring.. it was the reaction of the vinegar and buttermilk that brought out the red colour from the cocoa. yeah i’m a dork.

tigress_al

Thanks for the info laadies. I will have to seek out red velvet cake for real and give it a taste!

tattooed_tea

That is interesting. You learn something new everyday.

momo

And food coloring only started getting used because this extract/food coloring guy was losing business, so he started marketing the red coloring to women for use in red velvet cake and it got out of control. Everyone had to one up each other on the red!

K S

Back in the day of the dinosaurs, my college room mate’s mother made a red velvet cake for us. Her first. She used like the whole bottle of coloring. A day or two later it had an interesting side effect. We were too embarrassed to ask the other about it at first. Until it got so bad we were afraid we suffering some horrible malady. Sorry it that is TMI but I think about it everytime red velvet gets mentioned. I still love the stuff.

tigress_al

Wow, I never knew red velvet cake had such a history! I will definitely seek this out sometime.

Comments

tattooed_tea

Can’t wait to try this one.

tattooed_tea

That is interesting. You learn something new everyday.

momo

K S

Hello,

Most of my teas I rate at 90 and above, and would re-stock these teas.
Anything under 90 I probably wouldn’t re-stock unless I found a great price.

Saskatchewan, Canada