Kasumi no Chajin sent me this amazing package of pu’erhs and oolongs a couple of weeks ago and I’ve been almost frightened to delve in because I know nothing about this stuff, but I thought I would start with honeysuckle! I was a major fan of Enid Blyton’s books when I was a kid, the ones where the protagonists always live in a country house with honeysuckles growing around the door and windows, so this sounded like a fun one.

There’s nothing much to shout about this tea’s appearance, it’s just fine little coils of loose pu’erh, but the first time I’ve actually seen dry, loose pu’erh. I brewed it for four minutes, watching as it turned from a salty-smelling sunset red to a rich, earthy chestnut brown.

The taste I still can’t work out how to put into words! I think I need to taste more pu’erhs, since I’ve only tried bags from Luk-Yu and the loose leaf at Leaf on Bold Street. compared to both it’s really smooth – the earthiness is gentle and I don’t get any bitterness at all. There’s a tiny bit of spiciness and and this really nice sweet note that lingers around the top of your mouth and stays there after every sip; I’m going to assume that’s the honeysuckle being coy. This is a really nice cup of tea, kind of cosy and brightening at the same time – the perfect thing to get me out of my slump. Thanks, Chajin!