Received my Yunnan Sourcing order today!
The teas smell great, but sadly the lid of the gaiwan I ordered was cracked despite some really intense bubble-wraping :(

Dry Leaves: Really lovely shiny golden buds with some black mixed in. They have a velvety feel, and are very soft and fresh feeling compared to other blacks I’ve had.

Brewing: They produce a gold-brown colored tea with a honey-like aroma. The leaves are almost all whole, and unfold to look like small needles of milk chocolate or fine leather.

Tasting: The first thing in noticed when drinking this tea was the powerful throat sensation. Definitely the strongest I’ve experienced. A typical Yunnan gold flavor with hints of sugar cane, spice, and I wouldn’t have thought of it, but as the description mentions, whiskey :)

It held out well for two steeps in my 12oz pot, and made a slightly weaker but still quite nice third steeping.

Reminds me of: Fancy hotels? Not sure why, its just the image this tea brings up for me :)

ashmanra

Aw, sorry about your lid! Will they replace it?

tperez

I just emailed them, so they haven’t gotten back to me yet, but reading on their website it sounds like they probably will :)

tperez

Update: They emailed me back and said they’d send me a new in a day or two, no questions asked :)

Comments

ashmanra

Aw, sorry about your lid! Will they replace it?

My name is Thomas,

Long-time tea and coffee driker, but I only started getting into the world of good quality teas about two years ago.

My favorites right now are pu’erhs, Yunnan blacks, and Taiwanese oolongs. I’m not much into flavored teas, and jasmine almost always puts me off, but I love a good cup of chai or adding a spice or two to my teas sometimes.

I’m a 20 year old currently working in Orlando Florida, taking a semester off from school to try and figure out my place in the world.

I’m also a music lover. I’ve played guitar and violin for quite a while in classical styles, rock, etc., and also learning sitar and hindustani music.

I also love hiking/camping, Minecraft, Dr. Who, and downhill longboarding :)

My Rating Scale:
95-100 Wow! Praise the gods that be!
90-94 Pretty darn good
80-89 Nice, but either not quite to my tastes or not particularly head turning
70-79 Decent
50-69 Potable… under dire circumstances
0-50: Fifty shades of “blech!” Teas that aren’t worth their weight in pocket lint

Orlando, FL