Really good, ridiculously clean shu. Thanks Autumn Hearth!

So… Apparently there was bit of scandal going around a while back about this being a cheap, low quality shu. I can’t answer for the first accusation, but as for quality all I have to say is that it was delicious.

Putting that behind us…

Early steeps: The tea brews extremely clear with a nice red color. Thick, chewy bread flavors and notes of portobello, vanilla, and something berry-like.

Middle steeps: Lightly oakey, reminds me of the camping on a cold night. Tastes of dark, rich soil. It becomes lighter with mineral, almost sparkling qualities. Clean like sheng.

Later steeps: Dry fall leaves, cedar, and pine. The mouthfeel is sort of meaty, and though its not fishy at all, I’m picturing a nice plank-cooked salmon. (I’m not crazy!) :P The flavors start to get weak around the 8th infusion.

I left the leaves on a gaiwan saucer by the window to dry, and what I found where some nice, big healthy leaves. And these things:

[IMG]http://i1075.photobucket.com/albums/w433/thomascperez/-3-2_zpsd087729c.jpg[/IMG]

Not really sure what they are, young tea flower buds?

Terri HarpLady

Hmmm…never seen anything like it. Maybe ask David?

mrmopar

Are they tea seed pods? Looks like that may be the case.

Kashyap

I enjoyed this as well. There are a few shu/shou pu erhs that really remind you that its not all earthy thunder and old horse barns…that there is a range of subtle that is akin almost to white tea (conceptually) that hides in its powerful claws. I still find them lovely, but prefer the Sheng for their exotic and complicated flavors

tperez

Mr. Mopar I think that’s exactly what they are! I cut the biggest one open, and there was three shriveled lumps inside it that probably used to be seeds. I didn’t know tea plants had pods like that.

Kayshap totally! This is the first shu I’ve had that tasted so clean and mild, the white tea comparison definitely fits. I’m just starting to get into sheng and really enjoying them too

Comments

Terri HarpLady

Hmmm…never seen anything like it. Maybe ask David?

mrmopar

Are they tea seed pods? Looks like that may be the case.

Kashyap

tperez

My name is Thomas,

Long-time tea and coffee driker, but I only started getting into the world of good quality teas about three years ago.

My favorites right now are pu’erhs, Yunnan blacks, and Taiwanese oolongs. I’m not much into flavored teas, and jasmine almost always puts me off, but I love a good cup of chai or adding a spice or two to my teas sometimes.

I’m 21 and currently working in Orlando Florida, taking a some time off from school to try and figure out my place in the world.

I’m a music lover and have played guitar and violin for quite a while in classical styles, rock, jazz, etc., and have also learned to love the sounds of the sitar and hindustani music in all its forms. I’ve become a bit of a guitar “grease monkey” and find building, modification, repair, and dissection to be even better than playing sometimes.

I also love hiking/camping and downhill longboarding when I have the time to make it out to somewhere hilly.

My Rating Scale: