Hmm, this is ok I guess. It was cheap, but the other black teas I’ve had from Yunnan Sourcing were WAY better.

It has a nice black peppercorn quality, and a sweetness a bit like maple syrup, but it also tastes a bit like wet dog… Its a smooth tea, but it’s fairly one dimensional and overall not much improvement over decent quality teabag blacks.

I wonder if this wasn’t stored very well? It may have gotten slightly damp at some point or had too much humidity.

Pyra Gorgon

LOL @ wet dog.

That is a really good analogy. Recently, I received a Yunnan 2004 ripe and aged puerh that smelled and tasted like rotten roots. The taste was brutal.

Come to think of it…it did smell a bit like wet dog too!

Kirkoneill1988

did any of you find out what caused the taste?

tperez

I’m not sure really. I gave it a another chance a few months later, and the musty smell/taste had gone away. It was actually really nice! I’d seriously
considering buying another the next time I make a Yunnan Sourcing order

Where have you been at?

Terri HarpLady

Perez, I thought of you the other day, as I’m getting ready to head down to visit my folks in Apopka this week. Any tea places open up in the area that you know of? :)

As long as the wet dog taste does not come back it should be fine

tperez

Hey Mr. M! I guess I sort of went through a quarter-life crisis last winter, followed by a full time job, a girlfriend, no spare cash to spend on tea, and I slowly disappeared from most of my internet hangouts. I suppose I’m back now :P It’s good to hear from you!

Sorry Terri, I don’t really know of any. Orlando is pretty depraved when it comes to tea. Infusion Tea on the West side of Orlando is decent, but not particularly noteworthy, and you can get some decent tea and tea wares from some of the larger asian markets in the Colonial/Mills area.
If you stop by the West coast at all there’s Kaleisia Tea Lounge in Tampa which is pretty good and has a nice atmosphere, and Ming Ming’s Tea in St. Pete which has some very good tea and even a decent selection of pu’erh.

Kirkoneill, the wet dog ran away, and despite all of the “lost smell” posters that I didn’t put up around town, he’s yet to come home. Haha

Kirkoneill1988

still, i may try this tea someday :)

mrmopar

I am glad to hear you are ok! Good to see you posting again! P.S. need a girlfriend who likes tea……:P

Terri HarpLady

Thanks for the report, Perez, I kind of figured so. We’ll be sticking pretty much to the Orlando suburbs most likely, no visits to the coast on either side.

Kirkoneill1988

Could fishy taste be another way of saying it other than wet dog ?

tperez

Hmm, no it wasn’t quite the same as the fishy taste you get with bad/very young shou. Wet dog was the best descriptor I could think of for it. Not moldy, but I guess old mulch would be pretty close.

Reading reviews on the YS site it doesn’t look like others had that experience with it. I’d guess that there something weird happened with the one I got. If you’re worried about it maybe go for a newer pressing

newer pressing?

tperez

There’s a 2012 and 2013 version. I was thinking maybe they wouldn’t have the smell

Comments

Pyra Gorgon

LOL @ wet dog.

Come to think of it…it did smell a bit like wet dog too!

Kirkoneill1988

did any of you find out what caused the taste?

considering buying another the next time I make a Yunnan Sourcing order

Where have you been at?

As long as the wet dog taste does not come back it should be fine

Kirkoneill1988

still, i may try this tea someday :)

Kirkoneill1988

Could fishy taste be another way of saying it other than wet dog ?

newer pressing?

My name is Thomas,

Long-time tea and coffee driker, but I only started getting into the world of good quality teas about three years ago.

My favorites are pu’erhs, Yunnan blacks, and Taiwanese oolongs. I’m not much into flavored teas or jasmine/florals, but I love a good cup of chai or adding a spice or two to my teas sometimes.

Currently taking a break from school, working in Orlando Florida and trying to find my place in the world.

I’m a music lover and have played guitar and violin for quite a while and have also learned to love the sounds of the sitar and hindustani music in all its forms. I’ve become a bit of a guitar “grease monkey” and find building, modification, repair, and dissection to be even better than playing sometimes.

I also love hiking/camping and downhill longboarding when I have the time to make it out to somewhere hilly.

My Rating Scale: