And the reviews of the first flush darjeelings begin! Luckily it’s still freezing and gloomy here in Maine, so a hot cup of flowery goodness really hits the spot.

Based on Sungma’s reputation I went ahead and rolled the dice and bought a full bag of this. There’s very little to compare in the tea world to that first inhalation after opening a sealed bag of first flush tea. There’s something so fecund and manna-like about the smell—kind of like honeysuckle on a hot summer day.

This Sungma was shaping up to be a classic first flush until I tasted it and was surprised to find how fruity and effervescent it is. That’s not necessarily a bad thing, but it does lack the deeper honey notes that I usually expect to find in a first flush. Maybe it was more lightly fermented, which results in something closer to an Oolong or a Nepalese tea. Anyway, these are mere quibbles, and will not prevent me from enjoying this top tier tea.

TeaBrat

hurray! this sounds nice.

Doug F

Can’t wait to try the other samples. Even for all the attention they get, I still think First Flush Darjeelings are underrated. There’s just nothing like them.

TeaBrat

I agree – they are wonderful!

Doug F

Mea Culpa, Sungma. I brewed this again with more leaf and found what I was looking for: FF nirvana! The honey blossomed, so to speak, and I’m finding this to be a near perfect cup.

TeaBrat

Hurrah! Yes, they certainly are nirvana!

Comments

TeaBrat

hurray! this sounds nice.

TeaBrat

I agree – they are wonderful!

TeaBrat

Hurrah! Yes, they certainly are nirvana!

I love tea and living in a place that is cold or cool nine months of the year, tea is a constant source of warmth and education. I always drink tea straight and rarely drink flavored teas or Tisanes, except for the occasional Rooibos. I’m a proud father of two young boys, an avid skier, motorcyclist, reader, and runner. I have a doctorate in English (dissertation on Emily Dickinson.)

Maine