Being a lover of Yunnan black teas, I was excited to try this. I brew all black teas western-style and this one I let go for about 4 minutes without any resulting bitterness. The dry leaf smell reminded me of the cookies you can buy at the Italian bakeries in the North End of Boston, while the wet leaves had a powerful aroma of marijuana. The flavor is quite satisfying: medium bodied with a powerful baked apple essence and flourishes of chocolate and mocha. I would put this on par with a top level Golden Monkey in terms of flavor and body but not quite as awe-inspiring as the best Dian Hongs I’ve tasted.

TeaBrat

I did not notice the marijuana aroma, must try this again! :-P

Bonnie

Dry it, roll it, sell it, buy more tea :)

Doug F

Maybe it’s just me, but I find that aroma in quite a few black teas from China. Some of the teas I’ve been buying lately are more expensive than pot!

Comments

TeaBrat

I did not notice the marijuana aroma, must try this again! :-P

Bonnie

Dry it, roll it, sell it, buy more tea :)

Doug F

I love tea and living in a place that is cold or cool nine months of the year, tea is a constant source of warmth and education. I always drink tea straight and rarely drink flavored teas or Tisanes, except for the occasional Rooibos. I’m a proud father of two young boys, an avid skier, motorcyclist, reader, and runner. I have a doctorate in English (dissertation on Emily Dickinson.)

Maine