What a complicated drink for my first review. I started off slow,only infuzing one cup at a time. My initial rinse left impressions of several flavors/sensations on different parts of my tongue, too much for my novice palate to do justice with description. The deep red/brown color is misleading in thinking that there would be an acidic bitterness which was not present. For me the earthy aroma(as another post says)is mingled with an aqautic tone. The combination of bold yet smooth flavor is what I truely enjoy. I’m reminded of gray shades in a forest, older and richer than browns. Yet after saying that my next sip brings to mind a seaweed impression I’ve also seen cited. I guess ‘mossy’ is the word I want,but somehow that doesn’t seem right either. Such a difficult thing to describe for me. After a dozen or so steepings I’m finally getting to the nuttiness I first expected. The after flavor is surprisingly strong and stays with you like a tasty tomato you just pulled from the vine. In a sense I regret that my time with this tea is at an end, but let me also note that I would not drink this tea regularly, it is more occasion specific for me. I shall conclude my ramblings to include that Mumford&Sons-Dust Bowl Dance was my selected ‘tune’ for this tasting. Not because I deemed it fit, but rather this song has captivated me as of late.

Another revision…
My name is Dave. I enjoy shu pu’erhs, but starting to branch toward shengs. I drink darker oolongs daily, though I’ve been finding greener types that have less grassy astringency that I’m very happy with. And finally, some black teas are making it into my cup somewhat regularly.

I still have much to learn and welcome all of the suggestions sent my way. I’m also thankful for the many samples sent to me and without them would not have learned what I have thus far. Now that I’ve had several types of tea to try I’ve came to realize that I’m picky and much prefer traditional teas as opposed to blends, though there are still some that grab me.

I’m a wimp when it comes to astringency so take anything I say about this characteristic with a grain of salt(ASTRINGENCY WEENIE MAN, or AWM for short).

Other ramblings;
About tunes; I, like many, love them. I like adding them to my notes, but I feel like if someone were let’s say knitting or painting or reading a book that it would help the readers to get a better feel for how the writer may be impressioned about his environment toward his tea experience.
I wish I would have paid more attention to the grammer teachers so many years ago and not doodling band insignias. I should revisit the proper use of commas for starters, which I love.
I also love, and probably over use, parenthesis (the use of them may be a second personality coming to surface).
I’m a two finger typer and it may take me over an hour to write a note between my typing and creating a musical environment to write a ‘proper’ note with.
I try to PM everyone who follows/return follows me a hello and an offer of suggestions on what I’ve came across on Steepster. I was a little lost at first and almost quit so I’ve taken it upon myself to help others get through the first day. I plan to write a discussion on this topic.
If you’ve not listened to the enchanting stories about Dave and Morley go to ‘The Vinyl Cafe with Stuart Mclean’ website and listen to a podcast or two. Many of the Canadians on here I’ve asked had, yet surprisingly many had not heard of it.

Indiana,United States