Just got samples from Puerhshop and I’m so excited!For a greenhorn like myself to see the tiny cakes,balls,and the tightly packed pieces from larger cakes is absolutely unreal.I feel like a big timer right now!I must write this note quickly before the delusion wears off. Dry leaf smell is definitely aqautic,reminds me of a fishtank after it’s been emptied.Wettened something woodsy is added.Color is a deep red brown-almost looks like wood stain.The first taste is smooth and bold,still woodsy but add earthy as well.The sweetness has caught me by surprise.I hate to say this and risk being misleading,but I’m reminded of caramel popcorn,Caramel popcorn ribbons wrapped in cedar.It’s not a powerful sweet,but it’s there. The aqautic portion of this equation is limited to what the nose detects on the way to my mouth.Between the slight dryness and the cedar tone I’m wanting to say that it’s heading toward malty rather than the mossy I expected.It’s quite delicious,even now that I’m on my 5th steeping.Strength of the aftertaste doesn’t match the drink,it’s there but seems like it should be greater.I really love that sweet ribbon I mentioned and it’s present in the aftertaste as well. I would definitely suggest this.If my novice palate can appreciate this pu’erh then I fear no displeasurable experiences for the general drinker. Tunes;Jamie Cullum-Gran Tarino/Twenty Something/Wind Cries Mary
Doug F

I like how you include your music selections. Keep ’em coming!

Comments

Doug F

I like how you include your music selections. Keep ’em coming!

Another revision…
My name is Dave. I enjoy shu pu’erhs, but starting to branch toward shengs. I drink darker oolongs daily, though I’ve been finding greener types that have less grassy astringency that I’m very happy with. And finally, some black teas are making it into my cup somewhat regularly.

I still have much to learn and welcome all of the suggestions sent my way. I’m also thankful for the many samples sent to me and without them would not have learned what I have thus far. Now that I’ve had several types of tea to try I’ve came to realize that I’m picky and much prefer traditional teas as opposed to blends, though there are still some that grab me.

I’m a wimp when it comes to astringency so take anything I say about this characteristic with a grain of salt(ASTRINGENCY WEENIE MAN, or AWM for short).

Other ramblings;
About tunes; I, like many, love them. I like adding them to my notes, but I feel like if someone were let’s say knitting or painting or reading a book that it would help the readers to get a better feel for how the writer may be impressioned about his environment toward his tea experience.
I wish I would have paid more attention to the grammer teachers so many years ago and not doodling band insignias. I should revisit the proper use of commas for starters, which I love.
I also love, and probably over use, parenthesis (the use of them may be a second personality coming to surface).
I’m a two finger typer and it may take me over an hour to write a note between my typing and creating a musical environment to write a ‘proper’ note with.
I try to PM everyone who follows/return follows me a hello and an offer of suggestions on what I’ve came across on Steepster. I was a little lost at first and almost quit so I’ve taken it upon myself to help others get through the first day. I plan to write a discussion on this topic.
If you’ve not listened to the enchanting stories about Dave and Morley go to ‘The Vinyl Cafe with Stuart Mclean’ website and listen to a podcast or two. Many of the Canadians on here I’ve asked had, yet surprisingly many had not heard of it.

Indiana,United States