drank Bananas Foster by 52teas

Sadly, it pains me to write this note. I guess I shouldn’t have had the high expectations that I did, though. So many people have written their ravings over this tea and I love bananas and so I thought that this tale would end with me penning, typing rather, the words ‘and everyone lived happily ever after’…such is not the case.

As I said I shouldn’t have had such I high expectation. To clue you in to what this tea was for me I could first mention that I should maybe change my name officially to ASTRINGENCY WEENIE MAN. It seems it has come into play during several of my recent notes. This will be no exception.

I will go into little detail. I will simply say that the drink started out with strong cinnamon flavor with the vanilla/banana coming soon after. The obvious problem is that I could not get through the strong astringent ‘like licking chalk’ sort of ‘mouth devoid of all moisture’ effect it played on my tongue.

I’m certainly sure it’s me, it’s all me (sounds like every other break-up I had in my yoot-youth). Too many others had nothing but good to say about it so don’t consider what I’ve had to say, though my wife didn’t like it either.

no tune,flick (kinda like’no Coke-Pepsi) The Grey/ with Liam Neeson

ashmanra

Is it okay if we just call you AWM? It’s lots shorter.

Touche, ASH, touche.

LiberTEAS

Try brewing this at just under boiling water (I brewed my cup at 200 degrees F), and this should help lighten the astringency. I did not notice it much at all.

Azzrian

I thought this was okay but I am not in love with it myself. I will try your advice LiberTEAS

ashmanra

LOL! I would be your trusty sidekick, because I am definitely “Astringency Weenie Lady.”

Daniel Scott

I really dislike astringency as well. It’s something that will bump a cup down from “good” to merely “interesting” for me – as in, that’s interesting, I can tell it’s well-blended…but I’ll never like it.

tunes&tea

Glad to see that wasn’t scoffing Ashmanra,especially after the women lumberjack thing.And Daniel also, I’m glad to see I’m not the only one.I was starting to feel like an outcast to true tea connoissuer-ism.

ashmanra

I couldn’t drink Assam or Darjeeling for the longest time, and that was why. It has to be REALLY good ones and I give a short steep to keep the astringency down, but mostly I just avoid lots of Indian teas. The astringency gives me heartburnas well as being distasteful to me,

Finn88

ugh disappointed to hear that, Banana Foster sounds delicious until the chalk description lol

CHAroma

I’ve never licked chalk, but I can imagine it would be an all-together unpleasant experience. Sorry this wasn’t a winner for you. :(

Ze_Teamaker

Out of curiosity how much leaf to water ratio did you do? I made up a batch today and put in a bit more leaf then usual and noticed it had a more pronounced astringent flavor then normal.

Comments

ashmanra

Is it okay if we just call you AWM? It’s lots shorter.

Touche, ASH, touche.

LiberTEAS

Azzrian

Daniel Scott

Finn88

CHAroma

Ze_Teamaker

Another revision…
My name is Dave. I enjoy shu pu’erhs, but starting to branch toward shengs. I drink darker oolongs daily, though I’ve been finding greener types that have less grassy astringency that I’m very happy with. And finally, some black teas are making it into my cup somewhat regularly.

I still have much to learn and welcome all of the suggestions sent my way. I’m also thankful for the many samples sent to me and without them would not have learned what I have thus far. Now that I’ve had several types of tea to try I’ve came to realize that I’m picky and much prefer traditional teas as opposed to blends, though there are still some that grab me.

I’m a wimp when it comes to astringency so take anything I say about this characteristic with a grain of salt(ASTRINGENCY WEENIE MAN, or AWM for short).

Other ramblings;
About tunes; I, like many, love them. I like adding them to my notes, but I feel like if someone were let’s say knitting or painting or reading a book that it would help the readers to get a better feel for how the writer may be impressioned about his environment toward his tea experience.
I wish I would have paid more attention to the grammer teachers so many years ago and not doodling band insignias. I should revisit the proper use of commas for starters, which I love.
I also love, and probably over use, parenthesis (the use of them may be a second personality coming to surface).
I’m a two finger typer and it may take me over an hour to write a note between my typing and creating a musical environment to write a ‘proper’ note with.
I try to PM everyone who follows/return follows me a hello and an offer of suggestions on what I’ve came across on Steepster. I was a little lost at first and almost quit so I’ve taken it upon myself to help others get through the first day. I plan to write a discussion on this topic.
If you’ve not listened to the enchanting stories about Dave and Morley go to ‘The Vinyl Cafe with Stuart Mclean’ website and listen to a podcast or two. Many of the Canadians on here I’ve asked had, yet surprisingly many had not heard of it.

Indiana,United States