First review in…uh…well it says “about a year” on my last tasting note so I guess about a year. I will start by saying salutations to all of my adoring fans. Scratch that. I have no fans. I copped this sample from my old pal Pureleaf and boy am I glad.

I’ve been drinking on this all day but I elected to start some fresh leaves to write this note (twist my arm already).I prepared this in a 120ml gaiwan. I rinsed the leaves, allowed them to cool and ‘rest’, and then steeped for roughly 10 seconds. Initial liquor was a light yellow with a hint of orange. At first sip I was met with a pleasant mix of light smokiness with an appropriate sweetness to accompany it. There was a slight drying effect, though not too much. I didn’t really encounter any bitterness so all in all the astringency factor was low and left a crispness in my mouth.
The after taste is worthy of boasting. I love it when a sheng leaves it’s mark on my palate as this one did. I was especially intrigued by how much this tea was present in the nasal portion of my palate as well. Though I don’t actually do it, I bet this would even be good iced. A great aged sheng in my most humble of opinions. Thank you all of my adoring fa…we covered that already didn’t we?

mrmopar

Welcome back! We have missed you. You should join our puerh of the day discussion. We are all “learning” with it. Your notes would be great there.

tunes&tea

Hey buddy, thanks for the kind words. I really need to spend a quick minute here and there and at least get a few lines in.

gmathis

Good to see you back!

TheTeaFairy

Hey, you’ve got another fan here, miss your tunes and teas :-)

Comments

mrmopar

tunes&tea

gmathis

Good to see you back!

TheTeaFairy

Hey, you’ve got another fan here, miss your tunes and teas :-)

Another revision…
My name is Dave. I enjoy shu pu’erhs, but starting to branch toward shengs. I drink darker oolongs daily, though I’ve been finding greener types that have less grassy astringency that I’m very happy with. And finally, some black teas are making it into my cup somewhat regularly.

I still have much to learn and welcome all of the suggestions sent my way. I’m also thankful for the many samples sent to me and without them would not have learned what I have thus far. Now that I’ve had several types of tea to try I’ve came to realize that I’m picky and much prefer traditional teas as opposed to blends, though there are still some that grab me.

I’m a wimp when it comes to astringency so take anything I say about this characteristic with a grain of salt(ASTRINGENCY WEENIE MAN, or AWM for short).

Other ramblings;
About tunes; I, like many, love them. I like adding them to my notes, but I feel like if someone were let’s say knitting or painting or reading a book that it would help the readers to get a better feel for how the writer may be impressioned about his environment toward his tea experience.
I wish I would have paid more attention to the grammer teachers so many years ago and not doodling band insignias. I should revisit the proper use of commas for starters, which I love.
I also love, and probably over use, parenthesis (the use of them may be a second personality coming to surface).
I’m a two finger typer and it may take me over an hour to write a note between my typing and creating a musical environment to write a ‘proper’ note with.
I try to PM everyone who follows/return follows me a hello and an offer of suggestions on what I’ve came across on Steepster. I was a little lost at first and almost quit so I’ve taken it upon myself to help others get through the first day. I plan to write a discussion on this topic.
If you’ve not listened to the enchanting stories about Dave and Morley go to ‘The Vinyl Cafe with Stuart Mclean’ website and listen to a podcast or two. Many of the Canadians on here I’ve asked had, yet surprisingly many had not heard of it.

Indiana,United States