So my neighbour (who is fabulous and I am so lucky to have bought a house next to people that rock!) was having a rough morning and messaged me. Sometimes because we work odd schedules, they mesh up. She needed to vent. I immediately put on a pot of this, as I figured chocolate gives you endorphins and makes you feel better. I think I might have under-leafed it a bit. I made a litre of it.

At first sniff: This smells decadent. Rich, spicy, chocolate-y and delicious. I could sniff this tea all day long. My boyfriend knows when I make this one which a coined response of “Is that the chocochili tea?”

At first steep: I only usually make 2 cups of this, and am pretty generous with the scoops, so I think I made this a bit weak, it was still good but the flavours were more muted. It brews up a nice brown. Now, I really think DavidsTea should take out the “Chai” in this tea’s name. It is not a chai tea. It is still delicious though. We had ours with half and half and some sugar in pretty Denby tea cups, and she vented. We all felt better afterwards. This tea use to be one of my favourites, I wouldn’t say it’s that status any longer, but it’s still up there. I would definitely still restock it.

My passion for tea started at a very young age, thanks to my grandmothers beautiful china tea cup collection. I use to brew Tetley’s or whatever version of Orange Pekoe she had in the cupboard and pick out my favourite tea cup to use. It wasn’t until I was in my late teens that I really started to develop a passion for it. My town had the Urban Tea Merchant and it was there I was exposed to high tea and the very fancy Mariage Freres brand. When they switched over to The O Dor, my girlfriend and I found salvation in going for a lovely cup of tea and decompress with some tea scones.

It has since become an obsession. I have a tea cupboard, filled with a very large variety of teas. I also use the Breville Tea Maker to make my tea. I favour black teas, with a close second being North African Mint Green Tea. Because I have the luxury of working from home, I get to enjoy a wonderful cup of tea every morning, and the journey resets daily.

Vancouver, Canada