Aw man, another let down. Obviously I’m in the minority here, but I didn’t really dig this one. It’s my second tea from 52teas and the first one was rather disappointing too (caramel pumpkin cheesecake). There could be a few reasons for this:

1) I expect miracles. With dessert teas I mean. I expect it is both realistic and possible for someone to bottle up the pure essence of pancakes and syrup (or cookies, pie, brownies, cake, etc) and make a tea out of it.
2) I love sweets so much that no pale liquid imitation will ever satisfy me.
3) I had high hopes for this therefore I set myself up for disappointment.
4) I’m such a tea newb that I still can’t properly pinpoint different tasting notes in a cup of tea.

I really thought it would be more mapley. I can’t taste any maple at all!!
It doesn’t taste like anything to me, just a slightly sweet blend of black tea with a flavour I cannot put my finger on. I find Oh Canada by Davidstea tastes more like pancakes and syrup to me and I don’t even love that one on account of the rooibos.

I did find this more flavourful as it cooled down, but who wants to drink lukewarm tea for breakfast??

I am glad I got to try it, I still have some for a couple more cups so perhaps as my tea tastes mature I will be able to appreciate the subtlety in this. Thanks to Jackie T for the swap!!

EDIT March 30/13

So I had about 3 big spoonfuls of this left, decided just to throw it all in the strainer of one of my Davidstea Perfect Mugs and just go all the way. I figured if I don’t get any pancake flavour out of this massive quantity of tea then I’m not crazy. It was strong. I left it like 5 minutes and it was a lot of tea. Honestly I was just trying to get rid of it, so I guess that makes this a sipdown.

If I concentrate really hard, tongue out, nose wrinkled, eyes squinched shut I can ALMOST taste something vaguely resembling a pancake. But if you put that tea in front of me, even perfectly brewed and said “tell me what flavour this is”, I wouldn’t be able to. I’m still really just getting some sort of unrecognizable flavoured black tea.

I still have some left for a second (less strong) steep later, and will do so, but it wasn’t even worth drinking to me, I’m going out and I thought to myself “Self, do you want to finish drinking this potent tea that you don’t even enjoy right before you leave the house and then have to pee the whole time you’re gone??” (TMI perhaps)… the answer, anyway, was no.

I don’t even notice any maple in this, maybe it if were super mapley I’d be more on board. Ah well, that’s what swaps are for, right!? I have to lower my rating, because I feel I’ve tried enough delicious and spot-on flavoured teas since originally drinking this almost a month ago to fairly rate it lower, based on my own tastes.

Fjellrev

Don’t worry, I’m the same. I think I expect more too, especially when people say that this has actual cakey notes. I didn’t get that much syrup out of it either.

whatshesaid

Good to know I’m not alone

Josie Jade

I tend to expect a lot out of teas too. Especially if I read a lot of comments about them beforehand, it sometimes happens that I get the tea and am all like ‘THIS is what everyone’s been talking about?!’ I didn’t love 52 Teas at first either, but slowly have started finding ones that I really like. Hopefully you will too! :)

Comments

Fjellrev

whatshesaid

Good to know I’m not alone

Josie Jade

Hello!

Some favourites -

I would like to try any Taiwanese Assams that exist in the world!

Also continuously on the hunt for Fauchon – La Naissance.

When I rate, it goes like this:

85 -100 = WIN! awesome, I love this and keep it on hand
70 – 85 = pretty darn good but I don’t NEED to own it
55 – 70 = not necessarily terrible but not a tea for me!

New Brunswick, Canada