Edit – O HAY tasting note #50!! :)

Edit again – I shouldn’t have reviewed this before drinking a real genmaicha. This is way better, way sweeter. It’s what all genmaichas should taste like. Not quite a rice Krispies square and I’d definitely like more of a marshmallow flavour, but for a not super sweet and slightly marshmallowy version of genmaicha, this is great. I’m enough of a woman to admit when I’m wrong (except to my husband of course), so disregard below. I will bump the rating up from 70 because this has to be compared to a regular genmaicha, not some other sweeter dessert tea. I’m still tempted to throw a giant marshmallow in my cup to take it all the way, but I won’t. Now I want to own this tea, crap.

previous, uninformed review follows
-——————————————————————-

Big thanks to Sil again for a sample of this precious blend!

I have tried genmaicha only once before, and I’ve gotta say that this one didn’t taste a whole lot different than the regular one from what I remember of it!

First steep I really didn’t taste any marshmallow at all. From what I read in others’ reviews, there were two blends of this tea, one had actual marshmallows in it, the one I have does not. The way I feel is if you’re going to call something "Marshmallow __________ ", it better damn well taste like marshmallows! So I was disappointed. I don’t see the point of a flavored tea that really has no obvious flavor. I don’t need to be smacked in the face with it, but if you told me this was regular genmaicha, I’d believe you, that’s how little marshmallow taste there was.

Second steep actually tasted a bit more marshmallowy, which I guess was news to me considering I recently mentioned how I’ve never noticed a difference in taste between subsequent steeps of anything. So color me surprised.

In case you were wondering, my words taste good!

If you’ve read any of my reviews you know I prefer flavored teas to straight ones. I wouldn’t consider genmaicha to be a straight tea anyway, obviously, but this blend just tasted like slightly sweet nutty, crunchy toasty rice. It had a lot of the puffed rice in it, so that would explain it. I would have liked to try the blend with the actual marshmallow bits in it.

Will compare this to the plain genmaicha I have and be back to report my findings. For now I’ve gotta take points off for no major marshmallow taste. I might change that later!

(85 degrees C for about 3-4 min)

Yay :)

Kittenna

This is kind of like a vanilla genmaicha to me, which is quite tasty. My usual infusion method is 1.5 tsp in 8oz. at 82C for 2.5-3min. I loooooooove this one! Therefore am surprised you didn’t taste the marshmallow! Maybe I’ll have to sniff Sil’s bag of it when I get there, haha.

whatshesaid

When I did a sniff comparison after writing the review I could definitely smell a difference in that this one smelled sweeter. So without having tasted them side by side yet I suspect I would choose this over the regular stuff

whatshesaid

I amended my earlier review :)

She sniffed….and sniffed lol

Comments

Yay :)

Kittenna

whatshesaid

I amended my earlier review :)

She sniffed….and sniffed lol

Hello!

Here’s what I love (or I did before, and am trying to again):

Harney and Sons Paris is my all time favorite tea.

Mariage Freres and Kusmi are also on my awesome list.

I love creamy earl greys.

Also have an appreciation of oolong.

I love swapping!

When I rate, it goes like this:

85 -100 = WIN! awesome, I love this and keep it on hand
70 – 85 = pretty darn good but I don’t NEED to own it
55 – 70 = not necessarily terrible but not a tea for me!

New Brunswick, Canada