I thought it may have just been ‘contamination’ of my samples from being stored together because all my 52Teas samples smell exactly the same. Black tea, rooibos, whatever. Same smell, and similar taste. None of my other samples have the problem. I wonder if it’s a flavor he uses, no idea.

This tea was cinnamony, but no cake or bakery taste to it. I drank some this evening. This afternoon I had some actual cinnamon buns and guess what they didn’t taste like?? ….this tea.

And I don’t like cinnamon enough to drink a pure cinnamon flavored tea. You know what else I don’t love??….rooibos.

52Teas maybe just aren’t for me. Sad.

( @ Boiling, 5 min or so)

52teas

Depending on how your samples were packaged, this can easily happen. Tea is VERY susceptible to absorbing flavors and aromas. I made a sampler pack once when I first got started in this business and packed several different teas in the same tin; the baggies I used for the samples did not have a high enough barrier strength to keep the flavors from melding together. I had several customers return their samplers complaining that they all tasted the same before I understood what was going on. =(

Cavocorax

That’s too bad. I think I keep mine in the same packaging as I get from the merchant in the hopes that it won’t get contaminated!

Indigobloom

Try it at 2.5 min. I find it really helps to be exact with 52teas, and is generally consistent between the different blends.

whatshesaid

I have enough left to try again, it smells pretty cinnamon and the taste too but it must have picked up scents from other teas, as they are starting to smell the same. But I don’t seem to have that problem with any of my other samples! That’s why I wonder if there’s a particular flavor in this that’s also in some others that I’m smelling/tasting. I was probably not destined to love this one anyway as I’m not a fan of rooibos you can taste, haha.

*pretty cinnamony

IB – franks honeybush actually seem to do better with longer steeps I’ve found. ESP in the case of strawberry pie. At 3 mins or so its cinnamon ey……at 8+ mins there’s lots more strawberry.

whatshesaid

I left it five min based on other reviews saying 8 min! So I can try longer next time maybe :)

Comments

52teas

Cavocorax

Indigobloom

*pretty cinnamony

Hello!

Here’s what I love (or I did before, and am trying to again):

Harney and Sons Paris is my all time favorite tea.

Mariage Freres and Kusmi are also on my awesome list.

I love creamy earl greys.

Also have an appreciation of oolong.

I love swapping!

When I rate, it goes like this:

85 -100 = WIN! awesome, I love this and keep it on hand
70 – 85 = pretty darn good but I don’t NEED to own it
55 – 70 = not necessarily terrible but not a tea for me!

New Brunswick, Canada