drank Salted Caramel by DAVIDsTEA

How did I forget to review this? I did a sipdown of it last week just to say I did, get rid of it and log it. Forgot.

So when I smell the dry leaves I’m all like “blech.” I only brewed it because there was barely enough left for one cup, not worth swapping, and I didn’t want to chuck it out. So I figured what the hey.

I was actually surprised it tasted better than it smelled, to me.

I have to give you a weird comparison here, though I’m not sure if you’re going to get it or not. It makes perfect sense to me though.

You know how there are basically two obviously different types of BBQ flavored chips? I mean the flavoring, not the brand. There’s the “mesquite” type, like the (Lays black bag) and the less spicy ones, my fave, like the Humpty Dumpty brand or the Lays (orange bag I think). I don’t like the mesquite ones. I like the orangey ones.

Likewise for caramel, there’s the creamy, buttery kind, and the burnt toffee sort. I like the creamy ones.

I find this tea is more the burnt toffee sort of caramel. If it were potato chips it would be Mesquite BBQ.

The smell is worse than the taste though. And it’s definitely not overly salty, but I’m cool with that because I just want a good black caramel tea! Kusmi isn’t quite flavorful enough for what I’m searching for, and it’s not creamy enough (though definitely good!) I’m still searching.

I am hoping to find a creamy NON rooibos caramel tea. Della Terra has one but it was out of stock when I placed my last order.

Anyway, this wasn’t as off putting as I remember but it’s not like those little Kraft caramel candy squares, and that’s what I’m searching for.

yeah…this is not my favourite either though i’ve had a couple of decent caramel teas

Alysha

I’m on the same hunt. I’m hoping Butiki’s upcoming Caramel Vanilla will be the one!

Josie Jade

I thought this one had a more burnt caramel taste, too!

Josie Jade

And I got a little vinegar from both the dry leaf and a little in the taste. Did anyone else or am I just crazy?!

hmmm i can’t recall off the top of my head heh

Kittenna

I like the burnt toffee/caramel flavour :) And yeah, that’s definitely what’s in here. I didn’t get any vinegar from the leaf or taste, but I have another bit to try again sometime soon.

whatshesaid

I didn’t get any vinegar but while I don’t hate this it’s not quite what I was hoping it would be!

Comments

Alysha

Josie Jade

I thought this one had a more burnt caramel taste, too!

hmmm i can’t recall off the top of my head heh

Kittenna

whatshesaid

Hello!

Here’s what I love (or I did before, and am trying to again):

Harney and Sons Paris is my all time favorite tea.

Mariage Freres and Kusmi are also on my awesome list.

I love creamy earl greys.

Also have an appreciation of oolong.

I love swapping!

When I rate, it goes like this:

85 -100 = WIN! awesome, I love this and keep it on hand
70 – 85 = pretty darn good but I don’t NEED to own it
55 – 70 = not necessarily terrible but not a tea for me!

New Brunswick, Canada