Finally scored a sample of this as it’s been on my ‘must try’ list for awhile given all the glowing reviews. Thank you, Dustin!!

I have unfortunately not yet found a 52Teas blend worth raving about, perhaps just due to my own personal tastes. This one wasn’t really an exception, thus far.

It’s definitely got blueberry flavouring in it, can’t deny that. There’s a slightly off chemicalish note that I’m guessing is maybe the cheesecake aspect?? Not sure. Maybe it’s one that should be aired out??
I didn’t taste any pastry notes either.

Also, as far as claims that it should be a good breakfast tea, what with containing Assam and all…. I disagree. The liquor of my tea ended up very pale and not full bodied at all, no strong tea taste telling me to “wake up!!”…. I let it steep for awhile. I will try again using boiling water as I had originally brewed it with slightly cooled down water because I’ve read that helps bring out the flavours of 52Teas blends.

As it stands it was perfectly drinkable, but did not live up to its claims, for me. Also the slight chemical after taste was not delicious.

So far I am just pleased to cross this off my wish list. If my next cup drastically improves I will be sure to let you know!

ETA
Tried this again, added some more leaf to yesterday’s steep and let it sit for quite some time. It did get darker but still not what I’d consider a breakfast tea. It still didn’t blow me away. I have enough dry leaf left for one more (strong) round so whenever that happens I will report back.

Chizakura

Weird. My cups of this brew SO dark I feel like if I put my finger into it, it’d meet resistance. xD

Chizakura

For me it’s not a breakfast tea either since it’s so sweet.

It’s a shame you don’t like it, but at least now you know that you don’t.

Chelle

Hmmm. I’ve got this on the way. I’ll have to see how it goes.

whatshesaid

I may have underleafed but next time I make it, I will know for sure!

Chizakura

That’s so weird. Bad batch maybe? I totally get not liking it (in fact, I don’t like it anywhere near as much as I did at first) but it makes some of the darket colored liquor I’ve seen. That’s what I don’t understand.

TastyBrew

Funny, I’m the opposite, totally underwhelmed by this at first and now I really like it, I don’t love it, but I do like it a lot.

bleh. I can live without

Allie

I had the same reaction from this tea, though it appears as though many people love it. I thought it was just me who was underwhelmed.

@allie – i think the original version people were all over. the reblend seems to be more hit or miss

TastyBrew

That seems to be a common theme for 52teas. People go nuts for the first round and the reblend is less than amazing. Cough…marshmallow treat.

Chizakura

He says he uses the same ingredients for reblends. So maybe people are just finding they’re not as good as they remember?

TastyBrew

That’s kind of my theory. The first time it is so new and crazy and excitement spreads through the interwebs, then the reblend hits, and the hype has killed it.

whatshesaid

I’m glad I don’t love anything so far because it means one less company to feel compelled to buy from!

Also Marshmallow Treat used to actually have marshmallows in it from what I’ve read, but he changed it to make it vegan friendly. I say bring back the marshmallows and let the vegans pick them out, heheh. :)

Comments

Chizakura

Chizakura

For me it’s not a breakfast tea either since it’s so sweet.

It’s a shame you don’t like it, but at least now you know that you don’t.

Chelle

Hmmm. I’ve got this on the way. I’ll have to see how it goes.

whatshesaid

I may have underleafed but next time I make it, I will know for sure!

bleh. I can live without

Allie

Hello!

Some favourites -

I would like to try any Taiwanese Assams that exist in the world!

Also continuously on the hunt for Fauchon – La Naissance.

When I rate, it goes like this:

85 -100 = WIN! awesome, I love this and keep it on hand
70 – 85 = pretty darn good but I don’t NEED to own it
55 – 70 = not necessarily terrible but not a tea for me!

New Brunswick, Canada