drank Cha Yen Thai by Teavana

Teavana is the only local place we’ve found so far for loose-leaf, so we stopped by last night to add something new to our cupboard. This tea is the reason the trip was not a complete disaster!

The saleslady latched onto us like a dachshund – it really felt like a small dog had locked its teeth into the leg of my jeans and was trying with all it’s might to pull us in the direction it wanted to go. There may have been yipping involved as well, but we did our best to tune it out.

Once I had managed to detach her (believe me, it was not easy!) we were left alone for a minute or two to browse. I was talking to my husband about the double-walled glass cups when there she was again. Have you ever played that game in the arcade, where you hit the gophers that pop out of the holes? That’s what it felt like! We would very politely let her know that her help was not required, but less than two minutes later she’d pop back up and need to be knocked down again.

We finally gave up and went to go purchase our teas. I had made a list beforehand of things that looked good and were rated well here, and I am so glad I did. Last time had been a little overwhelming, and with as assertive as their salespeople are I didn’t want to be at a disadvantage.

Despite our list, she was reluctant to get some of the lower-priced teas. Once she finally brought it out and let us smell this tea, I was hooked. My eyes might have rolled back, it smelled so amazing. Vanilla and anise, coconut and cinnamon. Visions of macaroons and Thai iced tea flashed through my mind. Oh, it was good.

I couldn’t get the Thai iced tea out of my head, so I dragged the husband out for Thai on the way home. When we got back to the car, opening the door was like sitting inside a teapot. The scent had taken over, and it was heaven!

Steeping it this morning, I am surprised at how well the flavor is holding up against the hype of the smell. Mmm… macaroons. The vanilla and anise have a nice presence, but overall it tastes like toasted coconut with slight notes of cinnamon. I am in love. I don’t know how much of the black tea is actually in here – it doesn’t assert itself very well – but I just can’t bring myself to care! This is one that will stay in the cupboard on a permanent basis!

Tealizzy

I hate going into that store, but this tea sounds delicious! I also have another one on my list, so I might have to brave it. Last time I was in there (which was a really long time ago), the salesperson acted like the only option was to buy a huge tin of the tea when I asked her how much it costs. I guess you have to go in with confidence!!

wheezybee

Yeah – it’s actually getting fun to try thwarting them each time! The store’s minimum is 2oz, and so far pre-planning has worked well for us. Good luck!

Comments

Tealizzy

wheezybee

Feel free to browse my cupboard if you’re interested in swapping, but all the mate and pu-erh in our household is my husband’s.

For swapping purposes, please note the apple allergy. Thank you!

I tried to limit my cupboard to teas that were 1oz or larger, but that was a gorgeous failure in terms of swap communication. It’s all going back up.

Okay, I just feel wrong trying to grade things without a rubric – it’s too inconsistent! So, here is the grading breakdown:

0-50: Dump it!
50-60: I might finish the cup
60-70: Possibly finish the pot
70-80: I may keep this on hand
80-90: Cupboard space guaranteed
90-100: Poetry may be involved!

Dallas, TX