drank Laoshan White by Verdant Tea

I’m purposely not rating it, because I think something may be wrong with this batch. Maybe it was contaminated somehow, or I made it wrong. I used a second-hand shop gaiwan, put 2tsp of leaves in, and after 3 minutes it was only watery with a slight bitter taste. Wondering if I need to steep it more, I left it another three.

I’m trying to re-train my palate for green, so that may be part of the reason, but this… bleh. Even my dark pu-erh-loving husband agreed with me that this tasted bitter and somehow burnt. I don’t know if this one is even worth putting on my swap list, it’s so gross!

Update: Okay, I watched several different videos about using a gaiwan, did a conversion so I could use the correct amount of tea, and came to understand that the crazy quick steep time wasn’t a misprint! This is much better – actually palatable! The husband stole my cup, so I made myself another with (don’t hate me!) a little sugar and I actually kind of… may I say? Like it! The bitter and burnt taste must have been a combination of the over-steep and too many leaves.

Feel free to browse my cupboard if you’re interested in swapping, but all the mate and pu-erh in our household is my husband’s.

For swapping purposes, please note the apple allergy. Thank you!

I tried to limit my cupboard to teas that were 1oz or larger, but that was a gorgeous failure in terms of swap communication. It’s all going back up.

Okay, I just feel wrong trying to grade things without a rubric – it’s too inconsistent! So, here is the grading breakdown:

0-50: Dump it!
50-60: I might finish the cup
60-70: Possibly finish the pot
70-80: I may keep this on hand
80-90: Cupboard space guaranteed
90-100: Poetry may be involved!

Dallas, TX