Okay…

I’ve waited about 6 months to buy this tea. I’ve wanted it the whole time, and the raving was driving me crazy, so I finally broke down and bought 4oz of it.

It arrived on Thursday and I opened the bag up to the smell is chocolate brownies! :D

Steeped my first pot the same way I steep all of my black teas at first – 2 level teaspoons, 14oz of boiling water (boiling is 203ºF here in Prescott, AZ) for 3 minutes. Immediately after pouring the water over the leaves the smell vanished and became a much deeper melting chocolate aroma.

The first taste was exceedingly disappointing. No chocolate, no caramel, no brownies, not much of anything really. I tasted wood and graininess, very similar to a dark oolong. Near the bottom of the pot I began to taste a hint of milk chocolate, but definitely not dark chocolate.

So I decided that I did something wrong and steeped it with a tablespoon of leaves in 8oz of water for 3 minutes (verdant tea’s recommended western style steeping). Same thing. Was beginning to feel quite confused and VERY disappointed. So I went on a steeping rampage and tried every method of infusion I could think of and still got nothing. Tried gongfu style brewing as outlined on the verdant site and still the tea was boring and unflavorful.

So I’ve gone through about 2 of my 4oz and just am not feeling it, sadface. I was expecting way more from a tea with so much hype, but I guess it’s just me.

Bonnie

Quite an odd experience. I’d try another day maybe. I can’t even taste certain white tea’s that other people rave about and don’t know why. They taste blank.

TeaGinner

I lowered my rating from a 95 to an 80 after having 6 or so more cups after my initial one. The first cup I tasted everything from chocolate to cinnamon, but I’m starting to think it was just more of wishful thinking from me. Now to me it just tastes more like a nice, regular tea. I over-hyped it a bit too much and ended up slightly disappointing myself just as you did. IT’S STILL A GREAT TEA, don’t get me wrong, it’s just not as good as the hype! (to me) I want my first steep back, that’s where I tasted all of the notes! :(

Kittenna

I find that I appreciate this tea most after taking a break from it for a while. On that note, perhaps I’ll have some today! I know I’m not imagining the chocolatey flavours, personally, because I was extremely skeptical when I first tried it, and was shocked when I could actually taste it!

Have you tasted chocolatey flavours in blacks before? I’m too lazy to check to see if you carry a tea like that :P

Whispering Pines Tea Company

Ohhh yes, I certainly do! I have Dark Chocolate Oolong ;)

Yeah, I think I need to put the bag away for a while and come back later.

Jude

Just received a sample of this from Verdant and am puzzled by my own similar reaction to the tea… just not at all a tea that I would seek out, and I was expecting at least an “mmm, this is good” out of it. But it’s, just as you say, very similar to a dark oolong. So I’m thinking is it possible there this recent batch is not the quality that our Steepster brethren have received?

OMGsrsly

My reaction was “Blech!”. I also need to revisit it, maybe after I try the samples I received from Verdant. I just might not like the type of tea, after all.

Tea Sipper

It’s definitely not just you! I was really looking forward to this one but I was finding the same flavors as you were. I think it might be because it reminds me of a Fujian type tea and I really don’t like the flavors for those.

Bonnie

Taste is subjective and tea that isn’t flavored such as Laoshan Black, will not taste the same from season to season. You can’t control nature. If you don’t like it buy something else but comparing to a previous season as though nature made a mistake seems foolish to me. I’ll keep enjoying the ride through this and the seasons to come.

Comments

Bonnie

TeaGinner

Kittenna

Whispering Pines Tea Company

Ohhh yes, I certainly do! I have Dark Chocolate Oolong ;)

Yeah, I think I need to put the bag away for a while and come back later.

Jude