drank Birthday Cake by DAVIDsTEA

So I tried this for the first time today, and I have mixed feelings about it. I think mostly they’re due to the service I got from David’s, so I don’t want to give the tea itself a bad rating due to bad service because it IS a really nice snack tea, but hopefully the next time I try some it’ll be better because I’m always a rooibos fan.

I went to the DT by my campus after class and picked up a specialty tin of The Skinny and a cup of Birthday Cake to go. I had a bit of a wait before I got my tea (and the employees kept leaving while I was getting everything and paying), but after I got my cup to go and had waited a bit for it to cool down I tried a sip and there was loose rooibos everywhere. So I opened the lid and sure enough, the tea bag had either ripped or not been sealed properly and it was everywhere. I decided to wait to try it until I got home and pour it into one of my mugs with a filter, since it was only a short subway ride, but I was really disappointed with the service.

The tea itself, as I said, makes for an excellent snack tea. It’s very sugary sweet (I had mine with a little bit of agave as well) and the flavouring in the tea comes out more than the rooibos/honeybush. I’m tending to side eye the prevelance of artificial flavours that David’s is relying on for their newer blenders these days, so I don’t think this’ll be something I’ll have too often, but it tastes like it sounds and is definitely a cake tea.

8 min or more

Canadian tea addict! Also a fandom nerd and perpetual student. My favourites are greens (genmaicha and a good jasmine), pu’erh (any kind—I love pu’erh), lapsang souchong, yerba mate, and guayusa. I almost seem to be one of the lone Pukka fans of Steepster, but I’m all right with that.

It’s been about two years since I’ve done anything on Steepster, but we’ll see if I find myself moved to post anything here on out. Till then, whenever that may be!

Canada