Ok, this is the weirdest thing…

Mr. LBG came to me as a surprise…name and instructions followed in a message (which I had forgotten about). Anyway, idk what possessed me to enter it in my catalog as a chai (this is the first time this has happened) and so I set out following the website instructions for Laoshan Village Chai! Boiled a tbsp w milk (smelled like it was burning) but tasted fine nevertheless. It was already somewhat sweet on its own but I wanted it sweeter and since I do put sugar in my chai, I added honey as recommended.
The taste of toasted rice was predominant and I thought it was weird to put rice in a chai..and then it dawned on me…checked the website, and yep, it’s a Genmaicha! lol.

So my second steep followed the directions ok..tho it was infused with some of the milk I boiled it with ^^’

Unfortunately, this mistake was not as “successful” as this tea’s origins. I taste the toasted rice but not much else :( Will update after the 3rd steep ^^’

Update: Yay, the milk washed off with the 2nd steep and now I’m getting lots of other notes with the toasted rice..hm, lemme see…the original sweetness I detected before the addition of honey, chocolate..some green-ness!…and something else I can’t place ^^

Many thanks to Ze Teamaker for sending me this surprise sample!

Update: I am still steeping it…I think it is the 5th or 6th…not complex as earlier steeps but still with the fun toasted rice flavor that I like!

Chai was my first love, and later fell hard for Earl Grey. Will always have a soft spot in my heart for tisanes. Read my tea love story in my wordpress blog (link below).

Relatively new to the world of loose leaf but not to tea, passionate, eager to learn, and certified tea addict. I have a long way to go but oh, how I want my friends to get into tea too! I want to offer good teas at good prices so if you want to try some samples, check out my blog :)

To see the teas listed here on Steepster:

I also have a (still haphazardly) curated content on tea at www.scoop.it/t/tea-1

list of my swap friends on page 31