So I was talking with Lariel about biluochun earlier, and I remarked that I’ve never actually had the green variety. So tonight when I felt like a green, I pulled out this sample that I got free when I ordered their Laoshan Black Chocolate Genmaicha. The leaves are dark, almost evergreen, and they’re quite thin and twisted. They’re not really very snail-shaped at all, though some of them are slightly curled. Dry scent is sweet and mildly vegetal with a bit of hay aroma. I was unsure how to steep this, so I just did the same thing I would do with sencha, 1 minute at 175 degrees.

The brewed aroma is sweet with mild spinach and butternut squash scents. Wow, I think this is the best green tea I have ever had… It’s so amazingly smooth and creamy in texture, with a lovely butteriness that coats the tongue. It tastes like pure sweet and creamy butternut squash. And just when I thought this tea couldn’t get better, there’s this amazing and light sweetness that creeps up at the back of my mouth and throat at the end of the sip. It reminds me of the nectar of a honeysuckle flower – a clear, dewy sweetness with a hint of floral. Delicious!

Flavors: Butter, Butternut Squash, Creamy, Honeysuckle, Sweet, Vegetal

Stephanie

I loooove Laoshan greens :)

Lariel of Lórien

Yay! I’m a tea influence.

Cameron B.

Stephanie, I’ve had the Spring and Autumn harvest of the regular Laoshan Green, but this is in a whole other league. :D

apt

try a normal, non Laoshan Biluochun as well. Biluochun seems to vary a lot based on where it was grown

Comments

Stephanie

I loooove Laoshan greens :)

Lariel of Lórien

Yay! I’m a tea influence.

Cameron B.

apt

•2019 Sipdown Challenge!•
•15 full sipdowns and
•86 sample sipdowns

I am currently doing the #365DaysOfTea challenge via Instagram and Steepster! Please find my Instagram profile at the bottom of this bio!

Hi, I’m Cameron! I’m 29 years old and currently living in Austin, Texas with my boyfriend of 5 years. We’re both software engineers working in the Semiconductor manufacturing field. I am a staunch lover of pugs and other squishy-faced dogs, although sadly I do not currently have one.

I prefer my tea lukewarm or at room temperature and without milk or sugar. I will often sweeten iced tea. I brew Western style, and fluctuate between using mugs or teapots with small cups depending on the season. I have recently started to brew gongfu cha style!

Tea Preferences:
I enjoy both flavored and unflavored teas in many forms, including black, green, oolong, and white teas, as well as maté, rooibos, honeybush, and herbal tisanes. I am open to more exploration of puerh, but it’s not generally one of my favorites. I am not often a fan of fruit-based tisanes.

My very favorite straight teas tend to be from China, Japan, or Taiwan. I also enjoy matcha!

Fruit: All of them! My ‘go-to’s tend to be in the red fruits, stonefruit, or citrus spectra. I also really love apple, banana, berry, lychee, melon, pear, and rhubarb flavors. Tropical fruits aren’t among my favorites, but I still enjoy them once in a while – especially mango and pineapple.

Dessert: Again, all the things! I love creamy vanilla and marshmallow flavors, along with anything in the caramel family such as butterscotch, toffee, or maple. Chocolate is also a favorite, though I’m often disappointed by it in tea. And don’t forget anything buttery, cakey, or cookie-y!

Floral: I’m a little bit more particular in this category. I do very much enjoy jasmine, even strong jasmine, along with sakura and chamomile. But I’m not crazy about rose and lavender flavors, and I prefer hibiscus in moderation only.

Spices: I don’t generally find myself drawn to masala chai, but I do enjoy spices combined with other flavors. My favorite spices are the warm ones, especially cinnamon, nutmeg, anise, and cardamom. A bit of heat from black pepper or chili is okay too, as long as it’s not overwhelming! Ginger can be a lovely accent, but I find it difficult to drink as a main flavor.

Aromatics: I’m obsessed with Earl Grey! I also love cooling flavors such as mint (especially spearmint), pine, juniper, and eucalyptus. I am not a fan of strong rosemary or sage in tea. Smoke can be tasty when it’s not heavy-handed.

Favorite Purveyors:

80-89: Great – a possible staple
70-79: Good, but I wouldn’t buy it
60-69: It’s decent
50-59: Meh… I may or may not have finished the cup
40-49: Ick. Couldn’t finish it.
00-39: Repulsive, I spat it out

My profile photo is by inkpug!

Austin, Texas