Lewis & Clarke TTB

Okay, this just sounded interesting. And no one has tried it yet, so I’m exploring uncharted territory! Lol. Visually, it definitely looks like chunks of dried root, similar to dried ginger root or something similar. Dry scent is quite earthy and musty with some similarities to hay or straw. Maybe a bit of bran? There were no instructions regarding steep time or water temperature, so I just went with boiling for 5 minutes, which is what I generally do for herbals.

Brewed, it smells pleasantly roasty and reminds me of sunflower seeds or peanuts in the shell, and maybe bran flakes?

AHHHH I HATE WAITING FOR TEA TO COOL!

Ahem. The taste reminds me of peanut or sunflower seed shells. Somewhat musty, somewhat roasty, a bit woody? Definitely dead-on for sunflower or peanut shells. There’s a bit of similarity to houjicha but with less roast and more wood. Interesting, and not at all unpleasant! And apparently rich in fatty acids! Lol. :)

Flavors: Hay, Musty, Roasted, Straw, Wood

Boiling 5 min, 0 sec 1 tsp 8 OZ / 236 ML
SarsyPie

Very interesting! Never had a burdock root tea before!!!

Cameron B.

Me neither, which is why I tried it! :D Hooray for TTBs!

boychik

Sounds very interesting. Should try ;)

KiwiDelight

Interesting, all right. It’ll be one of the few I try!

*first few

madametj

You should get some of the little gongfu 30ml teacups. Takes care of the “waiting to cool” problem :P

Comments

SarsyPie

Very interesting! Never had a burdock root tea before!!!

Cameron B.

Me neither, which is why I tried it! :D Hooray for TTBs!

boychik

Sounds very interesting. Should try ;)

KiwiDelight

Interesting, all right. It’ll be one of the few I try!

*first few

madametj

Hi, I’m Cameron! I’m 28 years old and currently living in Austin, Texas with my boyfriend of 5 years. We’re both software engineers working in the Semiconductor manufacturing field. I am a staunch lover of pugs and other squishy-faced dogs, although sadly I do not currently have one.

I joined Steepster back in 2014, and was a very active member for a couple of years. I then took a break and have just started to drink tea again (in 2018). I am happy to be back! I have emptied my (virtual) cupboard and will fill it up slowly as I drink more teas!

I prefer my tea lukewarm or at room temperature and without milk or sugar. I will often sweeten iced tea. I brew Western style, and love to use small teapots and Japanese-style cups so I don’t have to wait for a giant mug to cool! My favorite teas tend to be black or green, and often flavored.

Tea Preferences:

Likes:
Chinese black teas
Chinese green teas
Caramel
Maple
Banana
Butterscotch

Dislikes:
Rose
Lavender

80-89: Great – a possible staple
70-79: Good, but I wouldn’t buy it
60-69: It’s decent
50-59: Meh… I may or may not have finished the cup
40-49: Ick. Couldn’t finish it.
00-39: Repulsive, I spat it out