drank Ming Hong by Yezi Tea

Oh em gee, I totally forgot that I have these Yezi samples to try! Silly me. I ordered samples during their Cyber Monday sale, and ended up getting 7 samples for under $10. Such a good deal, thanks Yezi! I admit, I chose this one at random out of the 5 black teas I got. They all have Chinese names that I am not familiar with, so I figured I’d just go with the first one I picked up. The leaves are long and thin and somewhat twisty. They’re a lovely dark chocolate brown with some grey spots, and there are a few stems included. Dry scent is very hay-like, though I can pick up on some grain/bread notes as well. I don’t generally weigh my teas, but since I knew it was a 5g sample, I weighed out 2.5g to make sure I would get two good cups out of it (it ended up looking similar to 1.5 teaspoons anyway!).

Ooh, the steeped tea smells delicious! I smell savory tones as well as bread and honey, possibly also a hint of green beans. Mm, yum. This tea is thick and bready and so comforting. I do taste a bit of a vegetal note, and it does remind me of green beans or something similar (edamame perhaps?). It’s definitely more of a savory tea than a sweet one, though I do get a little taste of dried fruit near the end and in the aftertaste along with a bit of caramelized sugar. Yum, so good! What a great start to my Yezi samples!

Flavors: Baked Bread, Burnt Sugar, Dried Fruit, Grain, Green Beans, Rye

200 °F / 93 °C 3 min, 0 sec 2 g 8 OZ / 236 ML
looseTman

Cameron, Which Yezi tea have enjoyed the most to date?

Cameron B.

I think I prefer this one so far, but I’ve only tried 2 out of my 7 samples. :)

looseTman

I look forward to reading your impressions of all 7 of them.

Comments

looseTman

Cameron, Which Yezi tea have enjoyed the most to date?

Cameron B.

I think I prefer this one so far, but I’ve only tried 2 out of my 7 samples. :)

looseTman

I look forward to reading your impressions of all 7 of them.

Hi, I’m Cameron! I’m 29 years old and currently living in Austin, Texas with my boyfriend of 5 years. We’re both software engineers, currently working in the field of Machine Learning. I am a staunch lover of pugs and other squishy-faced dogs, although sadly I do not currently have one.

I prefer my tea lukewarm or at room temperature and without milk or sugar. I will often sweeten iced tea. I brew Western style, and fluctuate between using mugs or teapots with small cups depending on the season. I have recently started to brew gongfu cha style!

Tea Preferences:
I enjoy both flavored and unflavored teas in many forms, including black, green, oolong, and white teas, as well as maté, rooibos, honeybush, and herbal tisanes. I am open to more exploration of puerh, but it’s not generally one of my favorites. I am not often a fan of fruit-based tisanes.

My very favorite straight teas tend to be from China, Japan, or Taiwan. I also enjoy matcha!

Fruit: All of them! My ‘go-to’s tend to be in the red fruits, stonefruit, or citrus spectra. I also really love apple, banana, berry, lychee, melon, pear, and rhubarb flavors. Tropical fruits aren’t among my favorites, but I still enjoy them once in a while – especially mango and pineapple.

Dessert: Again, all the things! I love creamy vanilla and marshmallow flavors, along with anything in the caramel family such as butterscotch, toffee, or maple. Chocolate is also a favorite, though I’m often disappointed by it in tea. And don’t forget anything buttery, cakey, or cookie-y!

Floral: I’m a little bit more particular in this category. I do very much enjoy jasmine, even strong jasmine, along with sakura and chamomile. But I’m not crazy about rose and lavender flavors, and I prefer hibiscus in moderation only.

Spices: I don’t generally find myself drawn to masala chai, but I do enjoy spices combined with other flavors. My favorite spices are the warm ones, especially cinnamon, nutmeg, anise, and cardamom. A bit of heat from black pepper or chili is okay too, as long as it’s not overwhelming! Ginger can be a lovely accent, but I find it difficult to drink as a main flavor.

Aromatics: I’m obsessed with Earl Grey! I also love cooling flavors such as mint (especially spearmint), pine, juniper, and eucalyptus. I am not a fan of strong rosemary or sage in tea. Smoke can be tasty when it’s not heavy-handed.

Favorite Purveyors:

80-89: Great – a possible staple
70-79: Good, but I wouldn’t buy it
60-69: It’s decent
50-59: Meh… I may or may not have finished the cup
40-49: Ick. Couldn’t finish it.
00-39: Repulsive, I spat it out

My profile photo is by inkpug!

Austin, Texas