drank Orange Chiffon by Tazo

Yay for impulse purchases! My sweetie and I made a trip to Target this morning (mostly to pick up a new game for the Wii U that they ended up not having) and there was a lovely endcap display of Tazo teas. After giving it a quick once-over, I chose this tea to take home with me. They also had a holiday tea called “Joy” that sounded interesting, but I figured one impulse tea was enough for today! This is an earl grey with orange, vanilla, and buttercream flavors. Sounds amazing, right? The sachets were sealed in a plastic bag inside the tin, so the bergamot scent was, of course, super overpowering when I opened it. Inside the sachets is a mixture of small black tea leaves and citrus peel.

Hmm, this is actually quite good! Having no experience with Tazo, I was unsure what to expect in terms of quality, but this seems right on par with Harney & Sons and similar companies. The bergamot is actually a tad stronger than I would like, and I find that it slightly overpowers the more delicate vanilla and buttercream. I added a touch of sugar to take the edge off of it, because I find strong bergamot to be somewhat hard to drink – it becomes almost bitter and perfumey. Perhaps next time I will try a 3-minute steep and see if this helps the flavors to be more balanced. I could taste the orange, thankfully, and I could see this being an amazing creamsicle earl grey tea if the bergamot could be reigned in a touch. Will experiment! For now, I’m quite satisfied with my $6 purchase. :)

Flavors: Bergamot, Orange, Vanilla

200 °F / 93 °C 4 min, 0 sec 8 OZ / 236 ML
Nicole

This sounds kind of good. I have been very happy to see more teas appearing on shelves in grocery stores and places like Target. :)

Cameron B.

I’m honestly surprised to see Tazo still around, I thought they would be gone since Starbucks switched to Teavana teas…

TheLastDodo

Their Joy is not as good as you may want to think. It is a blend of black green and oolong.
Which Wii U game were you going to get?

Cameron B.

Yeah, I couldn’t decide whether I wanted to try it or not, it’s a mix of black, oolong, jasmine green, and peach flavor. Sounded like it could be good or just meh.

I was looking for Captain Toad Treasure Tracker, and I did end up finding it somewhere else. :) Happy endings!

Nicole

The Target closest to me has Harney now. Sachet, but it’s still cool to see!

Nicole, yah! Mine has several varieties of Harney sachets as well. :D

Comments

Nicole

TheLastDodo

Which Wii U game were you going to get?

Nicole

The Target closest to me has Harney now. Sachet, but it’s still cool to see!

Nicole, yah! Mine has several varieties of Harney sachets as well. :D

Hi, I’m Cameron! I’m 29 years old and currently living in Austin, Texas with my boyfriend of 5 years. We’re both software engineers, currently working in the field of Machine Learning. I am a staunch lover of pugs and other squishy-faced dogs, although sadly I do not currently have one.

I prefer my tea lukewarm or at room temperature and without milk or sugar. I will often sweeten iced tea. I brew Western style, and fluctuate between using mugs or teapots with small cups depending on the season. I have recently started to brew gongfu cha style!

Tea Preferences:
I enjoy both flavored and unflavored teas in many forms, including black, green, oolong, and white teas, as well as maté, rooibos, honeybush, and herbal tisanes. I am open to more exploration of puerh, but it’s not generally one of my favorites. I am not often a fan of fruit-based tisanes.

My very favorite straight teas tend to be from China, Japan, or Taiwan. I also enjoy matcha!

Fruit: All of them! My ‘go-to’s tend to be in the red fruits, stonefruit, or citrus spectra. I also really love apple, banana, berry, lychee, melon, pear, and rhubarb flavors. Tropical fruits aren’t among my favorites, but I still enjoy them once in a while – especially mango and pineapple.

Dessert: Again, all the things! I love creamy vanilla and marshmallow flavors, along with anything in the caramel family such as butterscotch, toffee, or maple. Chocolate is also a favorite, though I’m often disappointed by it in tea. And don’t forget anything buttery, cakey, or cookie-y!

Floral: I’m a little bit more particular in this category. I do very much enjoy jasmine, even strong jasmine, along with sakura and chamomile. But I’m not crazy about rose and lavender flavors, and I prefer hibiscus in moderation only.

Spices: I don’t generally find myself drawn to masala chai, but I do enjoy spices combined with other flavors. My favorite spices are the warm ones, especially cinnamon, nutmeg, anise, and cardamom. A bit of heat from black pepper or chili is okay too, as long as it’s not overwhelming! Ginger can be a lovely accent, but I find it difficult to drink as a main flavor.

Aromatics: I’m obsessed with Earl Grey! I also love cooling flavors such as mint (especially spearmint), pine, juniper, and eucalyptus. I am not a fan of strong rosemary or sage in tea. Smoke can be tasty when it’s not heavy-handed.

Favorite Purveyors:

80-89: Great – a possible staple
70-79: Good, but I wouldn’t buy it
60-69: It’s decent
50-59: Meh… I may or may not have finished the cup
40-49: Ick. Couldn’t finish it.
00-39: Repulsive, I spat it out

My profile photo is by inkpug!

Austin, Texas