Home – 5:30 PM

This tea came from my recent swap with AJRimmer.

I’ve liked the ginseng oolongs I’ve tried in the past, so I figured it would be interesting to try a green tea with ginseng. This looks to be a sencha, so I was surprised to be read that it’s a Chinese green tea. I assume the red wood splinter-looking things are the red sandalwood mentioned in the ingredients? They turn an even more stunning bright red color once wet.

The base tea here is very mild – it tastes like a combination of grass and dry leaves. It’s quite smooth and pleasant. I can definitely taste the ginseng, which (to me) always tastes sweet and earthy with a bit of a mineral note. It’s not as strong here as in a ginseng oolong, but it’s a lovely supporting flavor. There is a touch of strawberry that compliments the other notes nicely, and it’s not too weak or too strong. I’m not sure I taste the sandalwood, but it may be blending in with the ginseng.

Overall, this is a lovely subtle tea that is in perfect balance. It’s sweet but earthy and fresh at the same time. I should really remember to buy a ginseng oolong the next time I order from Teavivre or somewhere similar…

Flavors: Autumn Leaf Pile, Earth, Grass, Mineral, Smooth, Strawberry, Sweet

Hi, I’m Cameron! I’m a 30-year-old software engineer currently living in Austin, Texas with my husband and our two pugs, Gobo and Ume. I tend to cycle between my different hobbies, and they include knitting, video games, board games, miniature painting, and – of course – TEA! But really, what I’m best at is collecting hobby related-things… ;)

I prefer my tea lukewarm or at room temperature and without milk or sugar. I will often sweeten iced tea. I brew Western style, and fluctuate between using mugs or teapots with small cups depending on the season. Occasionally I’ll brew Gongfu style when I’m in the mood.

Tea Preferences:
I enjoy both flavored and unflavored teas in many forms. These days, I drink mostly flavored teas, and I tend to gravitate most toward black, green, and oolong varieties. I do have a special fondness for straight Japanese green teas, however.

Fruit: All of them! My ‘go-to’s tend to be in the red fruits, stonefruit, or citrus spectra. I also really love apple, banana, berry, fig, lychee, melon, pear, and rhubarb flavors. Tropical fruits aren’t among my favorites, but I still enjoy them once in a while – especially mango and pineapple. I am not generally a fan of coconut in tea, though there are some exceptions.

Dessert: I love creamy vanilla and marshmallow flavors, along with anything in the caramel family such as butterscotch, toffee, or maple. Chocolate is also a favorite, though I’m often disappointed by it in tea. And don’t forget anything buttery, cakey, or cookie-y!

Floral: I’m a little bit more particular in this category. I very much enjoy jasmine, even strong jasmine, along with sakura and chamomile. But I’m not crazy about rose or lavender flavors, and I prefer hibiscus in moderation only.

Spices: I don’t generally find myself drawn to masala chai, but I do enjoy spices combined with other flavors. My favorite spices are the warm ones, especially cinnamon, nutmeg, anise, and cardamom. A bit of heat from black pepper or chili is okay too, as long as it’s not overwhelming! Ginger can be a lovely accent, but I find it difficult to drink as a starring flavor.

Aromatics: I’m obsessed with Earl Grey! I also love cooling flavors such as mint (especially spearmint), pine, juniper, and eucalyptus. I am not a fan of strong rosemary or sage in tea.

Favorite Purveyors:

80-89: Great – a possible staple
70-79: Good, but I wouldn’t buy it
60-69: It’s decent
50-59: Meh… I may or may not have finished the cup
40-49: Ick. Couldn’t finish it.
00-39: Repulsive, I spat it out