drank Genmaicha by Tea n' Joy

Home – 8:00 PM

Ahh… the weekend. Lazing about on the couch with my tea and my knitting, watching Casper.

I’m starting on knitted Christmas gifts for my family. I’ve decided this year to just knit several things that I would want to keep, then put them in one combined box to send to my mother, sister, and grandmother (who are always together for Christmas morning) and let them each choose which items they want. So I’ve just started on the first thing – a herringbone stitch hat in lovely autumnal colors. ❤

This tea is from my swap with ashmanra.

It’s been a while since I’ve had a plain ol’ genmaicha. I’m not sure why, it’s one of my favorite types of tea. This one is simple but tasty. I can’t taste the green tea much – it does have a bit of a dry autumn leaf flavor though. Mostly it’s sweet and toasty rice, which I like very much. I’m getting a bit of an oat flavor too, which makes it taste a bit like a very lightly sweetened granola.

Yummy.

Flavors: Autumn Leaf Pile, Oats, Sweet, Toasted Rice

ashmanra

I just saw herringbone stitch and linen stitch last night on Pinterest. I am very interested in doing some tea towels in linen stitch. Herringbone is beautiful but may be above my skill level.

Cameron B.

This will be be first time doing Herringbone Stitch. It seems fairly simple, it’s basically just doing k2tog but then leaving the second stitch on the left needle, then repeat. I’ll let you know! ;)

Comments

ashmanra

Cameron B.

Hi, I’m Cameron! I’m 29 years old and currently living in Austin, Texas with my boyfriend of 5 years. We’re both software engineers, currently working in the field of Machine Learning. I am a staunch lover of pugs and other squishy-faced dogs, although sadly I do not currently have one.

I prefer my tea lukewarm or at room temperature and without milk or sugar. I will often sweeten iced tea. I brew Western style, and fluctuate between using mugs or teapots with small cups depending on the season. I have recently started to brew gongfu cha style!

Tea Preferences:
I enjoy both flavored and unflavored teas in many forms, including black, green, oolong, and white teas, as well as maté, rooibos, honeybush, and herbal tisanes. I am open to more exploration of puerh, but it’s not generally one of my favorites. I am not often a fan of fruit-based tisanes.

My very favorite straight teas tend to be from China, Japan, or Taiwan. I also enjoy matcha!

Fruit: All of them! My ‘go-to’s tend to be in the red fruits, stonefruit, or citrus spectra. I also really love apple, banana, berry, lychee, melon, pear, and rhubarb flavors. Tropical fruits aren’t among my favorites, but I still enjoy them once in a while – especially mango and pineapple.

Dessert: Again, all the things! I love creamy vanilla and marshmallow flavors, along with anything in the caramel family such as butterscotch, toffee, or maple. Chocolate is also a favorite, though I’m often disappointed by it in tea. And don’t forget anything buttery, cakey, or cookie-y!

Floral: I’m a little bit more particular in this category. I do very much enjoy jasmine, even strong jasmine, along with sakura and chamomile. But I’m not crazy about rose and lavender flavors, and I prefer hibiscus in moderation only.

Spices: I don’t generally find myself drawn to masala chai, but I do enjoy spices combined with other flavors. My favorite spices are the warm ones, especially cinnamon, nutmeg, anise, and cardamom. A bit of heat from black pepper or chili is okay too, as long as it’s not overwhelming! Ginger can be a lovely accent, but I find it difficult to drink as a main flavor.

Aromatics: I’m obsessed with Earl Grey! I also love cooling flavors such as mint (especially spearmint), pine, juniper, and eucalyptus. I am not a fan of strong rosemary or sage in tea. Smoke can be tasty when it’s not heavy-handed.

Favorite Purveyors:

80-89: Great – a possible staple
70-79: Good, but I wouldn’t buy it
60-69: It’s decent
50-59: Meh… I may or may not have finished the cup
40-49: Ick. Couldn’t finish it.
00-39: Repulsive, I spat it out

My profile photo is by inkpug!

Austin, Texas