Home – 11:00 AM

Ahhh… Sunday… The laziest of days.

To me, this tea is like a combination of Yunnan, Fujian, and Taiwanese black teas. There is a smooth, slightly savory sweet potato note and thick texture from Yunnan, an interesting caraway or rye bread taste that I associate with Fujian, and then a lighter honeyed dried fruit and floral flavor from Taiwan. I would say it leans more toward a Yunnan black tea than the others, which makes since considering it is, in fact, from Yunnan.

Very tasty! I’m not sure I would order this over other teas, as I think I would rather have a characteristic tea from each region, rather than a hybrid. But it is extremely enjoyable and I will certainly have no trouble finishing the 50g packet.

I just noticed – Yunnan Sourcing has a “Taiwan Sourcing” section now? Oh boy… Now if only they offered a 25g size… ;)

Flavors: Baked Bread, Dried Fruit, Floral, Grain, Hay, Honey, Rye, Sweet Potatoes, Wheat

Leafhopper

Taiwan Sourcing is an offshoot of Yunnan Sourcing and they do have a 25 g size! It’s definitely worth checking out, though their teas can get expensive. (Or did you know this already and my irony sensor is out of order?)

Cameron B.

You’re totally right! I just didn’t realize some of them were 25g because they’re the same price as 50g of Yunnan black tea! :O

Leafhopper

Yep, they’re not cheap. They do have some unique stuff, though.

Cameron B.

In my experience, Taiwanese black tea leaves are often very lightweight and voluminous as well. So that could be part of the price-to-weight ratio seeming higher as well.

Leafhopper

That could be, although I still use about the same amount of tea by weight so it doesn’t make a difference. :) I think Taiwanese teas are generally more expensive for some reason.

Comments

Leafhopper

Leafhopper

Yep, they’re not cheap. They do have some unique stuff, though.

Leafhopper

Hi, I’m Cameron! I’m 29 years old and currently living in Austin, Texas with my boyfriend of 5 years. We’re both software engineers, currently working in the field of Machine Learning. I am a staunch lover of pugs and other squishy-faced dogs, although sadly I do not currently have one.

I prefer my tea lukewarm or at room temperature and without milk or sugar. I will often sweeten iced tea. I brew Western style, and fluctuate between using mugs or teapots with small cups depending on the season. I have recently started to brew gongfu cha style!

Tea Preferences:
I enjoy both flavored and unflavored teas in many forms, including black, green, oolong, and white teas, as well as maté, rooibos, honeybush, and herbal tisanes. I am open to more exploration of puerh, but it’s not generally one of my favorites. I am not often a fan of fruit-based tisanes.

My very favorite straight teas tend to be from China, Japan, or Taiwan. I also enjoy matcha!

Fruit: All of them! My ‘go-to’s tend to be in the red fruits, stonefruit, or citrus spectra. I also really love apple, banana, berry, lychee, melon, pear, and rhubarb flavors. Tropical fruits aren’t among my favorites, but I still enjoy them once in a while – especially mango and pineapple.

Dessert: Again, all the things! I love creamy vanilla and marshmallow flavors, along with anything in the caramel family such as butterscotch, toffee, or maple. Chocolate is also a favorite, though I’m often disappointed by it in tea. And don’t forget anything buttery, cakey, or cookie-y!

Floral: I’m a little bit more particular in this category. I do very much enjoy jasmine, even strong jasmine, along with sakura and chamomile. But I’m not crazy about rose and lavender flavors, and I prefer hibiscus in moderation only.

Spices: I don’t generally find myself drawn to masala chai, but I do enjoy spices combined with other flavors. My favorite spices are the warm ones, especially cinnamon, nutmeg, anise, and cardamom. A bit of heat from black pepper or chili is okay too, as long as it’s not overwhelming! Ginger can be a lovely accent, but I find it difficult to drink as a main flavor.

Aromatics: I’m obsessed with Earl Grey! I also love cooling flavors such as mint (especially spearmint), pine, juniper, and eucalyptus. I am not a fan of strong rosemary or sage in tea. Smoke can be tasty when it’s not heavy-handed.

Favorite Purveyors:

80-89: Great – a possible staple
70-79: Good, but I wouldn’t buy it
60-69: It’s decent
50-59: Meh… I may or may not have finished the cup
40-49: Ick. Couldn’t finish it.
00-39: Repulsive, I spat it out

My profile photo is by inkpug!

Austin, Texas