Home – 7:30 PM

I really need to get through trying and rating all of my David’s Teas. I don’t generally order from them anymore (except for some teaware stuff) because I’m often disappointed in their blends. It’s nothing against them, they’re just not a tea seller that I enjoy as much as some others. So I’d like to get through tasting all of the David’s Tea blends in my cupboard so I can separate out the ones worth keeping and send the rest on to someone else who will appreciate them more.

This one’s not bad. It definitely mostly tastes like cardamom, as the name would suggest. I used to dislike cardamom, but it’s grown on me over the past couple of years. Anyway, this tea reminds me of cinnamon toast more than french toast. I don’t know if that’s something other people commonly make, but basically it’s just toast that you butter and sprinkle with cinnamon sugar, then put it under the broiler until the sugar melts into a crispy crust and the toast edges get extra toasty.

This is missing the butter element, but otherwise it’s similar. Obviously in this case, it would be cinnamon-cardamom toast. There are definitely notes of brown sugar and burnt sugar, most likely because of the sweetness added by the sugar in this blend. I can taste a hint of vanilla as well.

Flavors: Brown Sugar, Burnt Sugar, Cardamon, Cinnamon, Sweet, Toast, Vanilla

Hi, I’m Cameron! I’m 29 years old and currently living in Austin, Texas with my boyfriend of 5 years. We’re both software engineers, currently working in the field of Machine Learning. I am a staunch lover of pugs and other squishy-faced dogs, although sadly I do not currently have one.

I prefer my tea lukewarm or at room temperature and without milk or sugar. I will often sweeten iced tea. I brew Western style, and fluctuate between using mugs or teapots with small cups depending on the season. I have recently started to brew gongfu cha style!

Tea Preferences:
I enjoy both flavored and unflavored teas in many forms, including black, green, oolong, and white teas, as well as maté, rooibos, honeybush, and herbal tisanes. I am open to more exploration of puerh, but it’s not generally one of my favorites. I am not often a fan of fruit-based tisanes.

My very favorite straight teas tend to be from China, Japan, or Taiwan. I also enjoy matcha!

Fruit: All of them! My ‘go-to’s tend to be in the red fruits, stonefruit, or citrus spectra. I also really love apple, banana, berry, lychee, melon, pear, and rhubarb flavors. Tropical fruits aren’t among my favorites, but I still enjoy them once in a while – especially mango and pineapple.

Dessert: Again, all the things! I love creamy vanilla and marshmallow flavors, along with anything in the caramel family such as butterscotch, toffee, or maple. Chocolate is also a favorite, though I’m often disappointed by it in tea. And don’t forget anything buttery, cakey, or cookie-y!

Floral: I’m a little bit more particular in this category. I do very much enjoy jasmine, even strong jasmine, along with sakura and chamomile. But I’m not crazy about rose and lavender flavors, and I prefer hibiscus in moderation only.

Spices: I don’t generally find myself drawn to masala chai, but I do enjoy spices combined with other flavors. My favorite spices are the warm ones, especially cinnamon, nutmeg, anise, and cardamom. A bit of heat from black pepper or chili is okay too, as long as it’s not overwhelming! Ginger can be a lovely accent, but I find it difficult to drink as a main flavor.

Aromatics: I’m obsessed with Earl Grey! I also love cooling flavors such as mint (especially spearmint), pine, juniper, and eucalyptus. I am not a fan of strong rosemary or sage in tea. Smoke can be tasty when it’s not heavy-handed.

Favorite Purveyors:

80-89: Great – a possible staple
70-79: Good, but I wouldn’t buy it
60-69: It’s decent
50-59: Meh… I may or may not have finished the cup
40-49: Ick. Couldn’t finish it.
00-39: Repulsive, I spat it out

My profile photo is by inkpug!

Austin, Texas