Home – 10:00 AM

This is from the autumn Matcha au Lait sampler – which came with plain, caramel, soybean powder, and chestnut mixes.

A couple of lessons learned:

1. The milk frother that I bought works way too well for this application. I ended up with about 300ml of creamy foam (and 0ml of liquid) from my original 150ml of soy milk! XD So props to the manufacturer, and next time I’ll have to stir it by hand and then froth a bit at the end to whisk the lumps…

2. The instructions on my packet are entirely in Japanese, except for the “150ml milk” and a number “1” with a kanji next to a picture of the packet. I, of course, I assumed this meant 150ml for the entire packet. It certainly does not. I think perhaps they meant 1 teaspoon of powder for 150ml of milk, because on their website it recommends 2 heaping teaspoons for 8 ounces of milk…

Anyway! After my epic adventure of making this beverage, I ended up with about 10 ounces of soy milk for the packet of about 1 tablespoon (11g) of mix. And the finished volume is huge, because it’s still half foam. At least it’s well-mixed! XD

It’s tasty, if I do say so myself. And it definitely doesn’t as much sugar as the David’s Tea matchas. Even with my sweetened soy milk, it’s not too sweet. The matcha is smooth with grassy and vegetal notes, and no bitterness. I’m not sure how much I can taste caramel, maybe a little bit, but it’s certainly not strong.

And don’t forget to join us next time on “Misadventures in Matcha” with your host, Cameron B.!

Flavors: Caramel, Cream, Grass, Sweet, Vegetal

Iced 3 tsp 10 OZ / 295 ML
Arby

I have the same problem with some soy milks. notably, Silk and So Delicious brands. Foam fo’ days

Cameron B.

Well, I’m glad it’s not just me. :P

Next time I may go with the “dissolve in a small amount of hot water and then dilute with cold soy milk” approach.

Mastress Alita

I have two packages of this, which say to stir two teaspoons into a cup of milk and microwave, but I prefer to use a milk frother too. I was using the strawberry au lait but got good results. I did the two teaspoons mix with one cup of vanilla almond milk, and I use my milk frother WITHOUT the frothing attachment (the little “spring coil” piece) so instead it just stirs really really fast and heats the milk at the same time. Then I get matcha that is whisked really nicely, and at least with the almond milk, it isn’t really foamy except for a tiny bit of bubbles on the top (I don’t like my really foamy).

Comments

Arby

Cameron B.

Well, I’m glad it’s not just me. :P

Mastress Alita

Hi, I’m Cameron! I’m 29 years old and currently living in Austin, Texas with my boyfriend of 5 years. We’re both software engineers, currently working in the field of Machine Learning. I am a staunch lover of pugs and other squishy-faced dogs, although sadly I do not currently have one.

I prefer my tea lukewarm or at room temperature and without milk or sugar. I will often sweeten iced tea. I brew Western style, and fluctuate between using mugs or teapots with small cups depending on the season. I have recently started to brew gongfu cha style!

Tea Preferences:
I enjoy both flavored and unflavored teas in many forms, including black, green, oolong, and white teas, as well as maté, rooibos, honeybush, and herbal tisanes. I am open to more exploration of puerh, but it’s not generally one of my favorites. I am not often a fan of fruit-based tisanes.

My very favorite straight teas tend to be from China, Japan, or Taiwan. I also enjoy matcha!

Fruit: All of them! My ‘go-to’s tend to be in the red fruits, stonefruit, or citrus spectra. I also really love apple, banana, berry, lychee, melon, pear, and rhubarb flavors. Tropical fruits aren’t among my favorites, but I still enjoy them once in a while – especially mango and pineapple.

Dessert: Again, all the things! I love creamy vanilla and marshmallow flavors, along with anything in the caramel family such as butterscotch, toffee, or maple. Chocolate is also a favorite, though I’m often disappointed by it in tea. And don’t forget anything buttery, cakey, or cookie-y!

Floral: I’m a little bit more particular in this category. I do very much enjoy jasmine, even strong jasmine, along with sakura and chamomile. But I’m not crazy about rose and lavender flavors, and I prefer hibiscus in moderation only.

Spices: I don’t generally find myself drawn to masala chai, but I do enjoy spices combined with other flavors. My favorite spices are the warm ones, especially cinnamon, nutmeg, anise, and cardamom. A bit of heat from black pepper or chili is okay too, as long as it’s not overwhelming! Ginger can be a lovely accent, but I find it difficult to drink as a main flavor.

Aromatics: I’m obsessed with Earl Grey! I also love cooling flavors such as mint (especially spearmint), pine, juniper, and eucalyptus. I am not a fan of strong rosemary or sage in tea. Smoke can be tasty when it’s not heavy-handed.

Favorite Purveyors:

80-89: Great – a possible staple
70-79: Good, but I wouldn’t buy it
60-69: It’s decent
50-59: Meh… I may or may not have finished the cup
40-49: Ick. Couldn’t finish it.
00-39: Repulsive, I spat it out

My profile photo is by inkpug!

Austin, Texas