Home – 12:00 PM

I only have a few teas left in my cupboard that I haven’t written about! I should really count them, so I can start doing a countdown and further encourage myself to finish. Full disclosure: there are some teas I’m not considering to be part of my cupboard for this purpose. I have a pile of unopened straight tea samples from Teavivre, Yunomi, Taiwan Tea Crafts… And then there are swap samples as well.

But to explain why I’m not counting those – I’m really trying to taste all of the teas in my cupboard because I want to determine which ones to keep and which to rehome to my fellow Steepsters. So samples don’t really come into the picture there since they’re generally only a cup or two anyway, and I’m not likely to feel the need to get rid of a straight tea from any of the quality suppliers mentioned above.

So once I’m done tasting all of these full-size teas, I’ll likely dive into a pile of swap and purchased samples. ❤

Anyway, on to the tea! This is another fruit-flavored oolong from Lupicia, which happens to be the type of tea that they do the very best (in my opinion). This tea isn’t one of their year-round collection, I believe I purchased it during their “iced teas of the world” or some such event this past summer. It looks quite similar to their Melon Oolong, even including the little candy drops mixed in with the rolled oolong.

Yummy, of course I like this one, too. It’s perhaps a bit more subtle than their other fruity oolongs, which isn’t a bad thing. The oolong base is smooth and mild, with a silken texture and a little floral hit at the end. The tangerine is light and quite acidic, almost making me think of pineapple or perhaps blood orange.

It’s quite good. It reminds me more of one of their pouchong-style fruit oolongs because of the somewhat strong floral notes.

P.S. – Lupicia has just released their holiday teas for the season!

Flavors: Blood orange, Floral, Orange, Orange Blossom, Pineapple, Smooth, Sweet, Thick

Helena

I can never get my stash down :D There’s always a new tea around the corner that I just have to try :D

Cameron B.

But of course! It’s always a perpetual “stashdown”… ;)

TreeGal

This sounds good! I hope they offer it again! As to the “try them all and figure out what to pass on to others” thing, yeah, I can relate. And yes, there’s always a new one to try, lol!

Comments

Helena

Cameron B.

But of course! It’s always a perpetual “stashdown”… ;)

TreeGal

Hi, I’m Cameron! I’m 29 years old and currently living in Austin, Texas with my boyfriend of 5 years. We’re both software engineers, currently working in the field of Machine Learning. I am a staunch lover of pugs and other squishy-faced dogs, although sadly I do not currently have one.

I prefer my tea lukewarm or at room temperature and without milk or sugar. I will often sweeten iced tea. I brew Western style, and fluctuate between using mugs or teapots with small cups depending on the season. I have recently started to brew gongfu cha style!

Tea Preferences:
I enjoy both flavored and unflavored teas in many forms, including black, green, oolong, and white teas, as well as maté, rooibos, honeybush, and herbal tisanes. I am open to more exploration of puerh, but it’s not generally one of my favorites. I am not often a fan of fruit-based tisanes.

My very favorite straight teas tend to be from China, Japan, or Taiwan. I also enjoy matcha!

Fruit: All of them! My ‘go-to’s tend to be in the red fruits, stonefruit, or citrus spectra. I also really love apple, banana, berry, lychee, melon, pear, and rhubarb flavors. Tropical fruits aren’t among my favorites, but I still enjoy them once in a while – especially mango and pineapple.

Dessert: Again, all the things! I love creamy vanilla and marshmallow flavors, along with anything in the caramel family such as butterscotch, toffee, or maple. Chocolate is also a favorite, though I’m often disappointed by it in tea. And don’t forget anything buttery, cakey, or cookie-y!

Floral: I’m a little bit more particular in this category. I do very much enjoy jasmine, even strong jasmine, along with sakura and chamomile. But I’m not crazy about rose and lavender flavors, and I prefer hibiscus in moderation only.

Spices: I don’t generally find myself drawn to masala chai, but I do enjoy spices combined with other flavors. My favorite spices are the warm ones, especially cinnamon, nutmeg, anise, and cardamom. A bit of heat from black pepper or chili is okay too, as long as it’s not overwhelming! Ginger can be a lovely accent, but I find it difficult to drink as a main flavor.

Aromatics: I’m obsessed with Earl Grey! I also love cooling flavors such as mint (especially spearmint), pine, juniper, and eucalyptus. I am not a fan of strong rosemary or sage in tea. Smoke can be tasty when it’s not heavy-handed.

Favorite Purveyors:

80-89: Great – a possible staple
70-79: Good, but I wouldn’t buy it
60-69: It’s decent
50-59: Meh… I may or may not have finished the cup
40-49: Ick. Couldn’t finish it.
00-39: Repulsive, I spat it out

My profile photo is by inkpug!

Austin, Texas