drank Vive le Thé! by Palais des Thes

Palais des Thés Advent Calendar – Day 1

Yay, more advent teas! I’m happy to have this calendar from Palais des Thés this year, as I’ve considered ordering samplers from them multiple times and this really is the ultimate sampler pack. So hopefully it will include most of their best-selling classic teas!

This one is a green base with citrus and ginger. I’m not the biggest ginger lover, but I don’t mind it as long as it’s not overpowering. I’m always charmed by these muslin tea bags that French companies seem to use often. Much cuter than the plastic pyramid kind!

This blend is quite mild, perfect for relaxing in the evening with my knitting. The base is smooth and a bit grassy with dried leafy notes. There is a nice touch of citrus, and it’s light and sweet as opposed to zingy. The ginger is equally mild, and blends nicely with the citrus flavors. Apparently the citrus is a combination of lemon, orange, and grapefruit. I’m not sure I’d be able to pick out all of those, but I do definitely get the lemon and a bit of sweet orange.

This isn’t a tea that I would feel the need to purchase, mostly because when it comes to relaxing green blends, I would prefer mint in place of the ginger. But it is a good combination, even if it’s not my preference.

Flavors: Autumn Leaf Pile, Citrus, Ginger, Grass, Lemon, Orange, Smooth, Sweet

175 °F / 79 °C 3 min, 0 sec 12 OZ / 354 ML

Hi, I’m Cameron! I’m 29 years old and currently living in Austin, Texas with my boyfriend of 5 years. We’re both software engineers, currently working in the field of Machine Learning. I am a staunch lover of pugs and other squishy-faced dogs, although sadly I do not currently have one.

I prefer my tea lukewarm or at room temperature and without milk or sugar. I will often sweeten iced tea. I brew Western style, and fluctuate between using mugs or teapots with small cups depending on the season. I have recently started to brew gongfu cha style!

Tea Preferences:
I enjoy both flavored and unflavored teas in many forms, including black, green, oolong, and white teas, as well as maté, rooibos, honeybush, and herbal tisanes. I am open to more exploration of puerh, but it’s not generally one of my favorites. I am not often a fan of fruit-based tisanes.

My very favorite straight teas tend to be from China, Japan, or Taiwan. I also enjoy matcha!

Fruit: All of them! My ‘go-to’s tend to be in the red fruits, stonefruit, or citrus spectra. I also really love apple, banana, berry, lychee, melon, pear, and rhubarb flavors. Tropical fruits aren’t among my favorites, but I still enjoy them once in a while – especially mango and pineapple.

Dessert: Again, all the things! I love creamy vanilla and marshmallow flavors, along with anything in the caramel family such as butterscotch, toffee, or maple. Chocolate is also a favorite, though I’m often disappointed by it in tea. And don’t forget anything buttery, cakey, or cookie-y!

Floral: I’m a little bit more particular in this category. I do very much enjoy jasmine, even strong jasmine, along with sakura and chamomile. But I’m not crazy about rose and lavender flavors, and I prefer hibiscus in moderation only.

Spices: I don’t generally find myself drawn to masala chai, but I do enjoy spices combined with other flavors. My favorite spices are the warm ones, especially cinnamon, nutmeg, anise, and cardamom. A bit of heat from black pepper or chili is okay too, as long as it’s not overwhelming! Ginger can be a lovely accent, but I find it difficult to drink as a main flavor.

Aromatics: I’m obsessed with Earl Grey! I also love cooling flavors such as mint (especially spearmint), pine, juniper, and eucalyptus. I am not a fan of strong rosemary or sage in tea. Smoke can be tasty when it’s not heavy-handed.

Favorite Purveyors:

80-89: Great – a possible staple
70-79: Good, but I wouldn’t buy it
60-69: It’s decent
50-59: Meh… I may or may not have finished the cup
40-49: Ick. Couldn’t finish it.
00-39: Repulsive, I spat it out

My profile photo is by inkpug!

Austin, Texas