Palais des Thés Advent Calendar – Day 5

Ooh, this is one of the Detox blends that I most wanted to try. I happen to love Asian pears (nashi) and it sounds like an interesting combination with buckwheat.

Hmm. This tastes more floral than I expected, given that there are only rose petals included and no floral flavoring. I’m not sure if it’s the pear flavoring that’s tasting floral or what… It’s not overwhelming, but it does sort of taste like rose or violet candies a bit? Which throws me off. I do get the soft Asian pear notes – more delicate and subtle than the usual pear. And I think I can taste the buckwheat? There is a light grain-y note that comes out at the end of the sip – not a roasted grain, actually it reminds me more of bread dough (in a good way). The base tea is very mild and a touch grassy, with soft umami notes accented by the spirulina.

Overall, it’s a very soft and subtle blend.

Unfortunately, the rose detracts from the overall flavor in my opinion, as it overpowers the pear a little bit. And I don’t like rose even at the best of times, so… Sad panda. Still good, but not one that I’ll order.

Flavors: Baked Bread, Floral, Grain, Grass, Pear, Rose, Smooth, Sweet, Umami

175 °F / 79 °C 3 min, 0 sec 12 OZ / 354 ML
Dustin

Asian pears?! That sounds like a tea Lupicia should do!

Comments

Dustin

Asian pears?! That sounds like a tea Lupicia should do!

Hi, I’m Cameron! I’m 28 years old and currently living in Austin, Texas with my boyfriend of 5 years. We’re both software engineers working in the Semiconductor manufacturing field. I am a staunch lover of pugs and other squishy-faced dogs, although sadly I do not currently have one.

I joined Steepster back in 2014, and was a very active member for a couple of years. I then took a break and have just started to drink tea again (in 2018). I am happy to be back! I have emptied my (virtual) cupboard and will fill it up slowly as I drink more teas!

I prefer my tea lukewarm or at room temperature and without milk or sugar. I will often sweeten iced tea. I brew Western style, and love to use small teapots and Japanese-style cups so I don’t have to wait for a giant mug to cool! My favorite teas tend to be black or green, and often flavored.

Tea Preferences:

Likes:
Chinese black teas
Chinese green teas
Caramel
Maple
Banana
Butterscotch

Dislikes:
Rose
Lavender

80-89: Great – a possible staple
70-79: Good, but I wouldn’t buy it
60-69: It’s decent
50-59: Meh… I may or may not have finished the cup
40-49: Ick. Couldn’t finish it.
00-39: Repulsive, I spat it out