Tea Revv Advent Calendar – Day 5

(originally written November 5th)

Meh, an herbal tea. Certainly not something that I get excited about. This one is a mixture of lemongrass, licorice, chamomile, lemon, and gynostemma, which I assume is some magical healthful herb that I have no interest in learning about. I steeped this in a disposable filter bag because of that rascally chamomile.

The steeped tea smells pleasantly lemony, which is a good sign. Wow, this is not at all what I expected… I guess there must have been way more dried lemon than I realized, because it actually tastes somewhat tart. This is actually quite pleasant. The strongest flavor is the lemon and lemongrass combo, and it has a light but somewhat refreshing tartness to it. I can also taste the chamomile, which has its usual musty-floral-oat-honey thing goin’ on. The licorice is fairly well done – I can taste a bit of anise flavor and there’s a slight sweet aftertaste that I attribute to licorice root. I have no idea what gynostemma would taste like, so I can say if that’s contributing any flavor.

Overall, I am very happy to have been surprised by this one. I was expecting a lemongrass and licorice mess and what I got was actually quite well-balanced. I would actually consider keeping some of this around as a sleepytime sort of tea.

Touché, Tea Revv…

Flavors: Anise, Floral, Honey, Lemon, Lemongrass, Licorice, Oats, Sweet, Tart

Boiling 5 min, 0 sec 2 tsp 12 OZ / 354 ML

Hi, I’m Cameron! I’m 28 years old and currently living in Austin, Texas with my boyfriend of 5 years. We’re both software engineers working in the Semiconductor manufacturing field. I am a staunch lover of pugs and other squishy-faced dogs, although sadly I do not currently have one.

I joined Steepster back in 2014, and was a very active member for a couple of years. I then took a break and have just started to drink tea again (in 2018). I am happy to be back! I have emptied my (virtual) cupboard and will fill it up slowly as I drink more teas!

I prefer my tea lukewarm or at room temperature and without milk or sugar. I will often sweeten iced tea. I brew Western style, and love to use small teapots and Japanese-style cups so I don’t have to wait for a giant mug to cool! My favorite teas tend to be black or green, and often flavored.

Tea Preferences:

Likes:
Chinese black teas
Chinese green teas
Caramel
Maple
Banana
Butterscotch

Dislikes:
Rose
Lavender

80-89: Great – a possible staple
70-79: Good, but I wouldn’t buy it
60-69: It’s decent
50-59: Meh… I may or may not have finished the cup
40-49: Ick. Couldn’t finish it.
00-39: Repulsive, I spat it out