Bird & Blend Matcha Advent Calendar – Day 6

This one is a rooibos “matcha” (it doesn’t actually contain any matcha, just powdered rooibos). Wow – I could smell the berries as soon as the water hit. It did come out a beautiful purply-red color.

To me, the blackcurrant is too strong here, and it’s quite candylike. There’s also licorice root, which doesn’t help with the candy aspect. The beetroot and rooibos both taste very earthy, with some additional woodiness from the rooibos. I don’t think I taste goji berry? But I’m not entirely sure what it tastes like either.

In my opinion, the combination is odd. The blackcurrant is almost medicinal tasting because it’s so strong, and the licorice root doesn’t help there either. Rooibos can also taste somewhat medicinal. So overall it kind of reminds me of a blackcurrant cough drop, heh. Not my favorite.

The Bonne Maman jam for today is Cherry-Blackberry (Cerise-Mûre) spread. I love both of those things in jam, so it sounds delicious to me. Confession: I don’t really feel like toast today, so I’m just eating little bits of jam with a butter knife. Don’t judge me! XD

Yum, I love this one. I would say both flavors are present in equal measure. Perhaps the cherry is a little bit stronger. They make a delicious pair, both with enough tartness that the jam isn’t overly sweet. I’m sad that none of these advent calendar jams are available for purchase…

Flavors: Black Currant, Candy, Earth, Licorice, Medicinal, Sweet, Wood

Iced 1 tsp 8 OZ / 236 ML
derk

Contact Bonne Maman when you’re done with the calendar and let them know your favorites. They’re probably looking for feedback on what to release next.

lizwykys

These Bonne Maman mini updates are so fun! I currently have Bonne Maman blueberry that is super yummy.

Mastress Alita

I have never tried Bonne Maman, but definitely want to. There is this one stall at the Boise Farmer’s Market that makes such lovely jam and I have such a hard time deciding on a jar or two on my yearly visit each year. An advent calendar like that would be so up my alley.

ashmanra

I love Bonne Maman. I can not imagine how fun an advent calendar from them would be. I want toast NOW!

ashmanra

Seriously, I am going to make toast now. I have some Bonne Maman Cherry Preserves calling me.

haha! <3

okay, scrape that toast, boys.

Cameron B.

@ashmanra – Cherry is one of my favorites, too!

Comments

derk

Mastress Alita

haha! <3

okay, scrape that toast, boys.

Cameron B.

@ashmanra – Cherry is one of my favorites, too!

Hi, I’m Cameron! I’m 28 years old and currently living in Austin, Texas with my boyfriend of 5 years. We’re both software engineers working in the Semiconductor manufacturing field. I am a staunch lover of pugs and other squishy-faced dogs, although sadly I do not currently have one.

I joined Steepster back in 2014, and was a very active member for a couple of years. I then took a break and have just started to drink tea again (in 2018). I am happy to be back! I have emptied my (virtual) cupboard and will fill it up slowly as I drink more teas!

I prefer my tea lukewarm or at room temperature and without milk or sugar. I will often sweeten iced tea. I brew Western style, and love to use small teapots and Japanese-style cups so I don’t have to wait for a giant mug to cool! My favorite teas tend to be black or green, and often flavored.

Tea Preferences:

Likes:
Chinese black teas
Chinese green teas
Caramel
Maple
Banana
Butterscotch

Dislikes:
Rose
Lavender

80-89: Great – a possible staple
70-79: Good, but I wouldn’t buy it
60-69: It’s decent
50-59: Meh… I may or may not have finished the cup
40-49: Ick. Couldn’t finish it.
00-39: Repulsive, I spat it out