Tea of the morning!

This is one of the teas from B&B’s January subscription box. It’s also a limited edition, I think it was a tea they offered previously that they brought back for a limited time? (shrugs)

Anyway, this is a green tea and green maté blend with coffee beans and cacao. For me, it’s just okay.

Don’t get me wrong, it tastes fairly good. I guess I just need another flavor or two to make it more exciting. The green tea is fairly boring, with just a mellow dry grassy flavor. The maté adds soft herbal and earthy notes. I can definitely taste the coffee, and I do feel it’s a nice amount of coffee, with a pleasant roasty flavor that doesn’t overpower the blend. I’m not sure about cacao, maybe a tiny bit? There’s a little creamy note that occasionally pokes its head out and whispers of greatness…

I think if there was more cacao flavor, I would enjoy this a lot more. As-is, it’s a bit boring? I guess I’m not a straight coffee drinker, so I like my coffee teas to be more latte-style as well! ;)

I can’t really comment on the energizing powers of this, as I don’t find myself to be much affected by caffeine and the like.

Flavors: Cacao, Coffee, Dry Grass, Earth, Grass, Herbaceous, Roasted, Smooth, Sweet

Hi, I’m Cameron! I’m 29 years old and currently living in Austin, Texas with my boyfriend of 5 years. We’re both software engineers, currently working in the field of Machine Learning. I am a staunch lover of pugs and other squishy-faced dogs, although sadly I do not currently have one.

I prefer my tea lukewarm or at room temperature and without milk or sugar. I will often sweeten iced tea. I brew Western style, and fluctuate between using mugs or teapots with small cups depending on the season. I have recently started to brew gongfu cha style!

Tea Preferences:
I enjoy both flavored and unflavored teas in many forms, including black, green, oolong, and white teas, as well as maté, rooibos, honeybush, and herbal tisanes. I am open to more exploration of puerh, but it’s not generally one of my favorites. I am not often a fan of fruit-based tisanes.

My very favorite straight teas tend to be from China, Japan, or Taiwan. I also enjoy matcha!

Fruit: All of them! My ‘go-to’s tend to be in the red fruits, stonefruit, or citrus spectra. I also really love apple, banana, berry, lychee, melon, pear, and rhubarb flavors. Tropical fruits aren’t among my favorites, but I still enjoy them once in a while – especially mango and pineapple.

Dessert: Again, all the things! I love creamy vanilla and marshmallow flavors, along with anything in the caramel family such as butterscotch, toffee, or maple. Chocolate is also a favorite, though I’m often disappointed by it in tea. And don’t forget anything buttery, cakey, or cookie-y!

Floral: I’m a little bit more particular in this category. I do very much enjoy jasmine, even strong jasmine, along with sakura and chamomile. But I’m not crazy about rose and lavender flavors, and I prefer hibiscus in moderation only.

Spices: I don’t generally find myself drawn to masala chai, but I do enjoy spices combined with other flavors. My favorite spices are the warm ones, especially cinnamon, nutmeg, anise, and cardamom. A bit of heat from black pepper or chili is okay too, as long as it’s not overwhelming! Ginger can be a lovely accent, but I find it difficult to drink as a main flavor.

Aromatics: I’m obsessed with Earl Grey! I also love cooling flavors such as mint (especially spearmint), pine, juniper, and eucalyptus. I am not a fan of strong rosemary or sage in tea. Smoke can be tasty when it’s not heavy-handed.

Favorite Purveyors:

80-89: Great – a possible staple
70-79: Good, but I wouldn’t buy it
60-69: It’s decent
50-59: Meh… I may or may not have finished the cup
40-49: Ick. Couldn’t finish it.
00-39: Repulsive, I spat it out

My profile photo is by inkpug!

Austin, Texas