drank Kuuipo by Lupicia

Sipdown! (16 | 293)

A very sweet Instagram friend, who happens to be staying in Hawaii at the moment, sent me a lovely care package of Hawaiian treats. Among them were two mini tins and two wrapped sachets of Lupicia tea – this was one of the sachets. I was curious about this tea, but it didn’t make the group order, so I’m so thankful for the chance to try it! Ahh, the generosity of tea friends… ❤

To be honest, I’m finding this similar to a couple of the other Hawaii blends in that it’s sort of generically tropical fruit-y… I don’t get hibiscus at all, which is mentioned in the description. This is meant to be a guava tea, and honestly I don’t have a ton of experience with guava so I’m not sure I would be able to tell even if it were accurate.

But like Hua Ki and Lanikai, this is sort of just a generic tropical black tea. Not bad, just nondescript.

Flavors: Creamy, Earth, Mango, Sweet, Tropical, Wood

200 °F / 93 °C 3 min, 0 sec 8 OZ / 236 ML
Dustin

A couple of the Hawaiian blends were really great and unique, the rest are just run of the mill non descript tea, which seems like such a shame!

Cameron B.

I still need to try Palekaiko, Anela, Mahina, and Hoku – hopefully some of those are a bit more unique!

ashmanra

What a great friend!

Cameron B.

She’s the sweetest! I sent her a care package of Obubu teas a few weeks ago, and this was her way of paying me back. ❤

Dustin

I might have a couple of those blends if you are looking for samples to try.

Cameron B.

Aww you’re so sweet! Those are all blends that I have or have samples of but haven’t tried yet. :)

Comments

Dustin

ashmanra

What a great friend!

Dustin

I might have a couple of those blends if you are looking for samples to try.

Cameron B.

Hi, I’m Cameron! I’m a 30-something software engineer currently living in Austin, Texas with my husband and our two pugs, Gobo and Ume. I tend to cycle between my different hobbies, and they include knitting, video games, board games, miniature painting, bento, baking, and – of course – TEA! But really, what I’m best at is collecting hobby related-things… ;)

~ 2021 SIPDOWN CHALLENGE! ~
~ September Sipdowns: 8
~ Total 2021 Sipdowns: 406

I prefer my tea lukewarm or at room temperature and without milk or sugar. I will often sweeten iced tea. I brew Western style, and fluctuate between using mugs or teapots with small cups depending on the season. Occasionally I’ll brew Gongfu style when I’m in the mood. I also use a kyusu for Japanese teas.

I am always up for a swap! Just let me know if you’d like to try something in my cupboard.

Tea Preferences:
I enjoy both flavored and unflavored teas in many forms. These days, I drink mostly flavored teas, and I tend to gravitate most toward black, green, and oolong varieties. I do have a special fondness for straight Japanese green teas, however. I also enjoy maté, rooibos, honeybush, and herbal tisanes. I love matcha and drink it often!

Fruit: All of them! My ‘go-to’s tend to be in the red fruits, stonefruit, or citrus spectra. I also really love apple, banana, berry, fig, lychee, melon, pear, and rhubarb flavors. Tropical fruits aren’t among my favorites, but I still enjoy them once in a while – especially passionfruit, mango, and pineapple. I am not generally a fan of coconut in tea, though there are some exceptions.

Dessert: I love creamy vanilla and marshmallow flavors, along with anything in the caramel family such as butterscotch, toffee, or maple. Chocolate is also a favorite, though I’m often disappointed by it in tea. And don’t forget anything buttery, cakey, or cookie-y!

Floral: I’m a little bit more particular in this category. I very much enjoy jasmine, even strong jasmine, along with sakura and chamomile. But I’m not crazy about rose or lavender flavors, and I prefer hibiscus in moderation only.

Spices: I don’t generally find myself drawn to masala chai, but I do enjoy spices combined with other flavors. My favorite spices are the warm ones, especially cinnamon, nutmeg, anise, and cardamom. A bit of heat from black pepper or chili is okay too, as long as it’s not overwhelming! Ginger can be a lovely accent, but I find it difficult to drink as a starring flavor.

Aromatics: I’m obsessed with Earl Grey! I also love cooling flavors such as mint (especially spearmint), pine, juniper, and eucalyptus. I am not a fan of strong rosemary or sage in tea.

Favorite Purveyors:

80-89: Great – a possible staple
70-79: Good, but I wouldn’t buy it
60-69: It’s decent
50-59: Meh… I may or may not have finished the cup
40-49: Ick. Couldn’t finish it.
00-39: Repulsive, I spat it out