Sipdown! (15 | 336)

Finishing off my packet of this from 2020 – I still have the packet left that they sent for this last New Year’s. I did two steeps and combined them in one of my usual teapots, then added a few plums and konbu knots.

I think I underestimated the effect of the plums, because wow! This has quite a noticeable umeboshi-like savory fruity flavor to it. There’s also a touch of bitterness, probably because it sat for a while before I got around to drinking it. Those dastardly particles in the bottom always do that, the jerks…

But it’s still yummy! The base is Sencha of the Wind, which is a kabuse sencha, so it has a nicely concentrated and rich umami flavor and notes of steamed spinach. I’m also getting a piney note that’s very pleasant. And then there’s the salty-tart ume and marine konbu. It’s really almost like drinking a broth!

I actually have a powdered ume and konbu “tea” that I picked up at this lovely umeboshi shop in Kyoto, and this is reminding me of a less salty version of that!

Flavors: Broth, Evergreen, Fruity, Marine, Pine, Plum, Salt, Savory, Seaweed, Spinach, Tart, Thick, Umami, Vegetal

160 °F / 71 °C 1 min, 0 sec 10 g 10 OZ / 300 ML
Mastress Alita

I used to get those powdered Ume Konbucha teas to use as broth for ramen noodles (I an MSG-intolerant due to migraines and can’t use the “flavor packets” that come with ramen). There was an MSG-free one on Yunomi some time ago… but it’s been gone now for ages, leaving a deep hole in my heart. I’ve tried desperately to find another Ume Konbu for my ramen broth, but all the ones I’ve found thus far have MSG in them. (wails)

Cameron B.

That sounds amazing! I’ll have to try it as a noodle broth… I wonder if you could approximate it with an MSG-free konbu dashi powder and ume paste or something?

Comments

Mastress Alita

Cameron B.

Hi, I’m Cameron! I’m a 30-something software engineer currently living in Austin, Texas with my husband and our two pugs, Gobo and Ume. I tend to cycle between my different hobbies, and they include knitting, video games, board games, miniature painting, bento, baking, and – of course – TEA! But really, what I’m best at is collecting hobby related-things… ;)

~ 2021 SIPDOWN CHALLENGE! ~
~ June Sipdowns: 34
~ Total 2021 Sipdowns: 355

I prefer my tea lukewarm or at room temperature and without milk or sugar. I will often sweeten iced tea. I brew Western style, and fluctuate between using mugs or teapots with small cups depending on the season. Occasionally I’ll brew Gongfu style when I’m in the mood. I also use a kyusu for Japanese teas.

I am always up for a swap! Just let me know if you’d like to try something in my cupboard.

Current Subscriptions:
Bird & Blend
Dessert by Deb
Kyoto Obubu Tea Farms

Tea Preferences:
I enjoy both flavored and unflavored teas in many forms. These days, I drink mostly flavored teas, and I tend to gravitate most toward black, green, and oolong varieties. I do have a special fondness for straight Japanese green teas, however. I also enjoy maté, rooibos, honeybush, and herbal tisanes. I love matcha and drink it often!

Fruit: All of them! My ‘go-to’s tend to be in the red fruits, stonefruit, or citrus spectra. I also really love apple, banana, berry, fig, lychee, melon, pear, and rhubarb flavors. Tropical fruits aren’t among my favorites, but I still enjoy them once in a while – especially passionfruit, mango, and pineapple. I am not generally a fan of coconut in tea, though there are some exceptions.

Dessert: I love creamy vanilla and marshmallow flavors, along with anything in the caramel family such as butterscotch, toffee, or maple. Chocolate is also a favorite, though I’m often disappointed by it in tea. And don’t forget anything buttery, cakey, or cookie-y!

Floral: I’m a little bit more particular in this category. I very much enjoy jasmine, even strong jasmine, along with sakura and chamomile. But I’m not crazy about rose or lavender flavors, and I prefer hibiscus in moderation only.

Spices: I don’t generally find myself drawn to masala chai, but I do enjoy spices combined with other flavors. My favorite spices are the warm ones, especially cinnamon, nutmeg, anise, and cardamom. A bit of heat from black pepper or chili is okay too, as long as it’s not overwhelming! Ginger can be a lovely accent, but I find it difficult to drink as a starring flavor.

Aromatics: I’m obsessed with Earl Grey! I also love cooling flavors such as mint (especially spearmint), pine, juniper, and eucalyptus. I am not a fan of strong rosemary or sage in tea.

Favorite Purveyors:

80-89: Great – a possible staple
70-79: Good, but I wouldn’t buy it
60-69: It’s decent
50-59: Meh… I may or may not have finished the cup
40-49: Ick. Couldn’t finish it.
00-39: Repulsive, I spat it out