Pulled this one out today as it’s the 10th tea in my collection (via my spreadsheet, which is alphabetized by company and then tea name), and I’m following the #CuppaTeaAthon prompts on Instagram this week, one of which was to drink your 10th tea.

Anyway! This is quite lovely. It’s extremely well-balanced, smooth but with some minerality and a hint of smokiness to it. There’s creaminess and edamame and hay, but also a delicious apricot aftertaste and enough astringency to keep it interesting. It’s also going on three years old, but still tastes good.

I wouldn’t say it’s a standout tea, but I feel like what it does, it does exceedingly well. It’s supremely drinkable and it makes my mouth happy. Plus, what a gorgeous tin! :3

Flavors: Apricot, Astringent, Bitter, Creamy, Grain, Green Beans, Hay, Mineral, Nuts, Smoke, Smooth, Soybean, Stonefruit, Sweet, Vegetal

gmathis

I haven’t checked out A&D for a long time. (Doing so now.)

Cameron B.

They don’t have much at the moment, sadly!

Boy, that’s the truth!

Evol Ving Ness

I see them a note a couple of weeks ago and they said they are restocking soon. No details as to when exactly.

Cameron B.

Ooooooh the plot thickens! I’ll have to keep an eye out.

Comments

gmathis

I haven’t checked out A&D for a long time. (Doing so now.)

Cameron B.

They don’t have much at the moment, sadly!

Boy, that’s the truth!

Evol Ving Ness

Cameron B.

Ooooooh the plot thickens! I’ll have to keep an eye out.

Hi, I’m Cameron! I’m a 30-something software engineer currently living in Austin, Texas with my husband and our two pugs, Gobo and Ume. I tend to cycle between my different hobbies, and they include knitting, video games, board games, miniature painting, bento, baking, and – of course – TEA! But really, what I’m best at is collecting hobby-related things… ;)

~ 2022 SIPDOWN CHALLENGE! ~
- December Sipdowns: 0
- Total 2022 Sipdowns: 403

I prefer my tea lukewarm or at room temperature and without milk or sugar. I steep Western style, and fluctuate between using mugs or teapots with small cups depending on the season. Occasionally I’ll brew Gongfu style when I’m in the mood. I’ll also often use a kyusu for Japanese teas.

I am always up for a swap! Just let me know if you’d like to try something in my cupboard.

Tea Preferences:
I enjoy both flavored and unflavored teas in many forms. These days, I drink mostly flavored teas, and I tend to gravitate most toward black, green, oolong, and herbal varieties. I do have a special fondness for straight Japanese green teas, however. I also enjoy maté, rooibos, and honeybush. I love matcha and drink it often! Fruit tisanes are not a favorite, but I’m always willing to try them.

I do not sweeten my teas, and pre-sweetened teas are usually too sweet for me. I also do not enjoy stevia.

Fruit: All of them! My ‘go-to’s tend to be in the red fruits, stonefruit, or citrus spectra. I also really love apple, banana, berry, fig, lychee, melon, pear, and rhubarb flavors. Tropical fruits aren’t among my favorites, but I still enjoy them once in a while – especially passionfruit, mango, and pineapple. I am not generally a fan of coconut in tea, though there are some exceptions.

Dessert: I love creamy vanilla and marshmallow flavors, along with anything in the caramel family such as butterscotch, toffee, or maple. Chocolate is also a favorite, though I’m often disappointed by it in tea. And don’t forget anything buttery, cakey, or cookie-y!

Floral: I’m a little bit more particular in this category. I very much enjoy jasmine, even strong jasmine, along with sakura, chamomile, and elderflower. Osmanthus is also a favorite of mine. But I’m not crazy about rose or lavender flavors, and I prefer hibiscus in moderation only.

Spices: I don’t generally find myself drawn to masala chai, but I do enjoy spices combined with other flavors. My favorite spices are the warm ones, especially cinnamon, nutmeg, anise, and cardamom. A bit of heat from black pepper or chili is okay too, as long as it’s not overwhelming! Ginger can be a lovely accent, but I find it difficult to drink as a starring flavor.

Aromatics: I’m obsessed with Earl Grey! I also love cooling flavors such as mint (especially spearmint), pine, juniper, and eucalyptus. I am not a fan of strong rosemary or sage in tea.

Favorite Companies:

80-89: Great – a possible staple
70-79: Good, but I wouldn’t buy it
60-69: It’s decent
50-59: Meh… I may or may not have finished the cup
40-49: Ick. Couldn’t finish it.
00-39: Repulsive, I spat it out

I will sometimes refrain from rating a tea if I feel I’m too biased due to my personal dislikes, or if I suspect the sample has been compromised by age or scent contamination.

Cupboard Spreadsheet: