Fortnum & Mason Advent Calendar 2021 – Day 13

Can’t believe we’re halfway through! I’m both happy and sad about it ha ha. And also excited for this tea because I love cranberry! I haven’t found a cranberry tea that I’ve really liked though, so hopefully this one is different. It certainly smells amazing in the tin!

Steeped aroma is also wonderful – like tart cranberry sauce. And it tastes quite good too! Definitely a recognizable cranberry flavor, though closer to the sweeter dried variety. But it’s certainly the most recognizably cranberry tea I’ve had. The flavor is similar in value to the strawberry tea from yesterday, versus the more subtle lemon and apple versions. I will say, there’s something here that’s reading a bit medicinal to me for some reason, and it’s making the whole thing veer slightly into cough syrup territory. The aftertaste is more like cranberry juice.

So I’m conflicted on this one, on the one hand overjoyed to find such a cranberry-forward tea, on the other trying to decide if I’m bothered by the cough syrup comparison… Hmm…

As far as the Bonne Maman jam goes, today it’s Apricot-Mango Spread. I adore apricot preserves, so of course I love this one. Apricot is the star but the mango gives it a great punch of tropical tartness that really adds a nice depth. Plus there are big chunks of apricot, yum!

Flavors: Candy, Cranberry, Dried Fruit, Earth, Hay, Medicinal, Musty, Smooth, Sweet, Tart, Wood

Kelmishka

Apricot preserves are my favorite; apricot-mango sounds delightful!

Comments

Kelmishka

Apricot preserves are my favorite; apricot-mango sounds delightful!

Hi, I’m Cameron! I’m a 30-something software engineer currently living in Austin, Texas with my husband and our two pugs, Gobo and Ume. I tend to cycle between my different hobbies, and they include piano, knitting, video games, board games, miniature painting, planners, bento, KBeauty, and – of course – TEA! But really, what I’m best at is “collecting” hobby-related things… ;)

~ 2024 SIPDOWN CHALLENGE! ~
- January Sipdowns: 6
- Total 2024 Sipdowns: 6

I prefer my tea lukewarm or at room temperature and without milk or sugar. I steep Western style, and fluctuate between using big mugs or small teapots depending on the season. Occasionally I’ll brew Gongfu style when I’m in the mood. I’ll also often use a kyusu for Japanese teas.

I am always up for a swap! Just let me know if you’d like to try something in my cupboard.

Tea Preferences:
I enjoy both flavored and unflavored teas in many forms. These days, I drink mostly flavored teas, and I tend to gravitate most toward black, green, oolong, and herbal varieties. I do have a special fondness for straight Japanese green teas, however. I also enjoy maté, rooibos, and honeybush. I love matcha and drink it often! Fruit tisanes are not a favorite, but I’m always willing to try them.

I do not sweeten my teas, and pre-sweetened teas are usually too sweet for me. I also do not enjoy stevia.

Fruit: All of them! My ‘go-to’s tend to be in the red fruits, stonefruit, or citrus spectra. I also really love apple, banana, berry, fig, lychee, melon, pear, and rhubarb flavors. Tropical fruits aren’t among my favorites, but I still enjoy them once in a while – especially passionfruit, mango, and pineapple. I am not generally a fan of coconut in tea, though there are some exceptions.

Dessert: I love creamy vanilla and marshmallow flavors, along with anything in the caramel family such as butterscotch, toffee, or maple. Chocolate is also a favorite, though I’m often disappointed by it in tea. And don’t forget anything buttery, cakey, or cookie-y!

Floral: I’m a little bit more particular in this category. I very much enjoy jasmine, even strong jasmine, along with sakura, chamomile, and elderflower. Osmanthus is also a favorite of mine. But I’m not crazy about rose or lavender flavors, and I prefer hibiscus in moderation only.

Spices: I don’t generally find myself drawn to masala chai, but I do enjoy spices combined with other flavors. My favorite spices are the warm ones, especially cinnamon, nutmeg, anise, and cardamom. A bit of heat from black pepper or chili is okay too, as long as it’s not overwhelming! Ginger can be a lovely accent, but I find it difficult to drink as a starring flavor.

Aromatics: I’m obsessed with Earl Grey! I also love cooling flavors such as mint (especially spearmint), pine, juniper, and eucalyptus. I am not a fan of strong rosemary or sage in tea.

Favorite Companies:

80-89: Great – a possible staple
70-79: Good, but I wouldn’t buy it
60-69: It’s decent
50-59: Meh… I may or may not have finished the cup
40-49: Ick. Couldn’t finish it.
00-39: Repulsive, I spat it out

I will sometimes refrain from rating a tea if I feel I’m too biased due to my personal dislikes, or if I suspect the sample has been compromised by age or scent contamination.

Cupboard Spreadsheet: