Sipdown! (12 | 109)

I’m sipping on Okumidori Gyokuro from Kyoto Obubu, but I’m putting it here because it’s not a tea that they usually sell, and I think it might have been exclusive to the subscription. So basically I don’t want to create a new tea entry for a tea that will probably never have another note written about it. Plus my sample was quite old, from 2020 I believe…

Anyway! I steeped the 5g packet in about 120ml of 140°F water for 90 seconds. I used a gravity infuser instead of a proper vessel because I’m a lazy person. :P

I very rarely drink gyokuro, so it’s always amazing when I try it! It’s fascinating that such a light-colored tea can have such intensity of flavor. This one is über sweet but with plenty of umami as well, super duper concentrated notes of spinach, creamy edamame, and lightly roasted nuts. Definitely some yummy squashy goodness going on as well, maybe acorn squash specifically. There’s almost no bitterness whatsoever, and a marvelously thick, viscous, creamy texture that just feels so restorative to sip.

Gyokuro, to me, is like the distilled essence of nature and new life in a cup. Not something I would ever drink daily, but every time I have it, it just feels like pure life energy, and gives a nice buzz to match!

Flavors: Creamy, Nuts, Rich, Roasted Nuts, Smooth, Soybean, Spinach, Squash, Sweet, Thick, Umami, Vegetal, Viscous

140 °F / 60 °C 1 min, 30 sec 5 g 4 OZ / 120 ML
Courtney

Love the description of “distilled essence of nature and new life in a cup”. :)

Cameron B.

Ha ha thank you, I felt silly writing it but it’s true! XD

ashmanra

That makes me want a cup of Gyokuro…

Comments

Courtney

Love the description of “distilled essence of nature and new life in a cup”. :)

Cameron B.

Ha ha thank you, I felt silly writing it but it’s true! XD

ashmanra

That makes me want a cup of Gyokuro…

Hi, I’m Cameron! I’m a 30-something software engineer currently living in Austin, Texas with my husband and our two pugs, Gobo and Ume. I tend to cycle between my different hobbies, and they include knitting, video games, board games, miniature painting, bento, baking, and – of course – TEA! But really, what I’m best at is collecting hobby related-things… ;)

~ 2022 SIPDOWN CHALLENGE! ~
- August Sipdowns: 31
- Total 2022 Sipdowns: 128

I prefer my tea lukewarm or at room temperature and without milk or sugar. I will often sweeten iced tea. I brew Western style, and fluctuate between using mugs or teapots with small cups depending on the season. Occasionally I’ll brew Gongfu style when I’m in the mood. I also use a kyusu for Japanese teas.

I am always up for a swap! Just let me know if you’d like to try something in my cupboard.

Tea Preferences:
I enjoy both flavored and unflavored teas in many forms. These days, I drink mostly flavored teas, and I tend to gravitate most toward black, green, and oolong varieties. I do have a special fondness for straight Japanese green teas, however. I also enjoy maté, rooibos, honeybush, and herbal tisanes. I love matcha and drink it often!

Fruit: All of them! My ‘go-to’s tend to be in the red fruits, stonefruit, or citrus spectra. I also really love apple, banana, berry, fig, lychee, melon, pear, and rhubarb flavors. Tropical fruits aren’t among my favorites, but I still enjoy them once in a while – especially passionfruit, mango, and pineapple. I am not generally a fan of coconut in tea, though there are some exceptions.

Dessert: I love creamy vanilla and marshmallow flavors, along with anything in the caramel family such as butterscotch, toffee, or maple. Chocolate is also a favorite, though I’m often disappointed by it in tea. And don’t forget anything buttery, cakey, or cookie-y!

Floral: I’m a little bit more particular in this category. I very much enjoy jasmine, even strong jasmine, along with sakura and chamomile. Osmanthus is also a favorite of mine. But I’m not crazy about rose or lavender flavors, and I prefer hibiscus in moderation only.

Spices: I don’t generally find myself drawn to masala chai, but I do enjoy spices combined with other flavors. My favorite spices are the warm ones, especially cinnamon, nutmeg, anise, and cardamom. A bit of heat from black pepper or chili is okay too, as long as it’s not overwhelming! Ginger can be a lovely accent, but I find it difficult to drink as a starring flavor.

Aromatics: I’m obsessed with Earl Grey! I also love cooling flavors such as mint (especially spearmint), pine, juniper, and eucalyptus. I am not a fan of strong rosemary or sage in tea.

Favorite Purveyors:

80-89: Great – a possible staple
70-79: Good, but I wouldn’t buy it
60-69: It’s decent
50-59: Meh… I may or may not have finished the cup
40-49: Ick. Couldn’t finish it.
00-39: Repulsive, I spat it out

I will sometimes refrain from rating a tea if I feel I’m too biased due to my personal dislikes, or if I suspect the sample has been compromised by age or scent contamination.

Cupboard Spreadsheet: