drank Dragonwell by DAVIDsTEA

My third Dragonwell batch (or fourth, if I count my Mighty Leaf baggy). Steeped the same way as my A&D cup, it’s already smells more vegetative and roasted than the others.

First steep: I’m picking up a hint of astringency. My mouth is puckering ever so slightly leaving a dry sensation- that’s different! The buttery moistness that I experienced from Dragonwell in the past is still vaguely there but it’s not as prevalent as I would like it to be. If I do some funny things with my mouth the nuttiness really comes out though. I want to say “walnuts” but that isn’t quite right. Second steep and it remains dry and nutty but with an added melting mellowness. So much better.

The tea exhibits basic Dragonwell characteristics yet still tastes and feels so dramatically different from the other cups of Dragonwell I’ve tried! Am I imagining it? I was sad at first to see that it wasn’t as buttery as the others but I think the dry nutty flavour is growing on me.

White teas, roasted/fired green teas, and the not so roasted green oolong varieties are my favourites. I enjoy the odd shu puerh too.

Currently looking for the most buttery and sweet green oolong I can find.

Ingredients/flavours I enjoy (in moderation): anise, butter, caramel, cedar, cream, grapefruit, jasmine, lavender, lemon, lilac, lime, maple, marshmallow leaves, melon, mint, orchid, pine, rice, rose, vanilla.

Subjective Rating System 2.0:

86-90: A favourite tea. May have quality flaws that I choose to ignore.

BC, Lower Mainland